a competitive industry? (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i'm considering doing Media and communications but i've heard that its a very very cut throat competitive industry as well as being very white dominated- i have nothing against white people, i've just heard that being non-white in this industry could work against me.
are these just myths or are they true?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
lol i wouldn't mind so much if i could run around like ugly betty, but...i don't want to end up a work- a-holic that kind of thing you know? i'd just really like to know if the stereotype of the media industry is true or not though i don't know what i'll do when i find out if it is or isn't...

cb90

HSC
These stereotypes change all the time, and its different for each place. But , I know that in a couple more years, the whole Australian workforce will be asian dominated. Those selective schools , gee its like my hometown all over again.

But i guess in the creative industries, like filmmaking- thats media/communications right? It certainly won't have as many asians as say, medicine.

But seriously, don't worry.

Pyschology is so much better. Why you want to go into media anyway?

cb90

HSC
oh wait, i see

you want USYD.

psych is only 84 for macU.

sorry, going off topic.
If you haven't guess it by now...
I actually I have no idea what media communication is like.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
lol i'm good at english and really like the whole advertising thing. i want to go into psych but i'm so scared of the whole science thing if i do a B psych and a BA psych is so hard to get into (at sydney) and the latter course is only available at like 3 unis!
oh and mac U is really far away from where i live :D otherwise i'd go there, or i'd go wollongong cos its only 83 there *sigh* curse you USYD

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
All creative and communications jobs are very competitive to get into - this won't change in the foreseeable future because there are an enormous amount of arts grads who usually either go into teaching, media or public service. There also aren't a whole lot of jobs in media-esque industries so the pressure increases further.

However there are few courses with guaranteed jobs at the end - Law, Medicine, Education, Nursing and Commerce ... thats pretty much it. The last is fairly vulnerable to industry trends though. Everything else is free game really.

As for the white thing ... well all artsy courses are predominately white and female, the difference is very striking at UTS where alot of the other faculties are predominately non-white yet the HSS faculty is rather vanilla. Same thing at UNSW. The same ethnicity ratio probably exists in the USYD course but it'd be less striking since it appears to be a much less 'ethnic' institution over all.

I don't think ethnicity matters that much in the media industry specifically either - there are obviously problems that will pop up every now and then but that's more of an individual thing. Don't worry about it too much.

shimmy&shine

HSC
I'm an short asian girl, and i managed to get a job in media and an internship in tv.

don't concentrate on it, and keep thinking that it might possible work against you. I never really thought about it because thankfully i haven't ever encountererd racism directly.

but be wise and be alert, but it shouldn't crowd your thoughts. Everyone has opinions, everyone has preferences, everyone bitches (esp in the media industry) but don't let that affect you negatively. just be open-minded.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its a myth.

Started an internship at Yahoo!7 today, and its a rather diverse range. If anything its more age limited rather than race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)