a controversial related text (1 Viewer)

boycalledfox

in the module of powerplay, my main related text is brave new world, but my other one has never been certain. so i was thinking of using an article about george bush's and the US hypocrisy and "powerplay" in regards to the "war on terror". i think it's very relevant to the module, but i'm not sure how a marker would look at this. would it be better just to go with something more acceptable?

http://www.zmag.org/terrorframe.htm

that's the site where the articles are from, check them out.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think your article would be acceptable, depending on how well you analysed it.

As a sidenote, it's really not a good idea to use Brave New World - or any other prescribed text - as your related material. The examiners will assume that you're also studying it for In The Wild and that you are attempting to 'double dip'. There's nothing that says you'll actually lose marks for it, but it won't make a good impression.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
What - but I read BNW as a related text without studying it

Is double-dipping frowned upon?
Fradam used the 3U text "A Doll's House" for 2U's change, and I'm using Porphyria's Lover from 3U for powerplay

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mm yes, I'm using Star Wars for powerplay - from changing worlds
do they actually discriminiate against responses involving prescribed texts from other modules/area of study ?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes, it's frowned upon - bitter dregs left over from the old HSC.

Avoid it if you can.

They won't intentionally discriminate against it, but the thought will enter their mind at some stage. When you're marking 60,000 english scripts, chances are you're going to get better marks if you've gone outside the syllabus. IMO.

boycalledfox

my english teacher told the class that in some sort of meeting one of the board of studies head honcho's specifically said that there would not be a penalty for using related text's from within the syllabus. also, BNW in the module "in the wild" is not related to powerplay, so it is being used for a completely different purpose. chances are you'll get around the mark you deserve.

kini mini

HSC
AFAIK there is no rule against the use of texts from other areas of the syllabus. But to be on the safe side, I'm avoiding it anyway as there are plenty of suitable texts out there. I was thinking of using my prescribed French 3U film as a change text though, as that's obviously not from the English course, but I decided against it in the end just in case :).

boycalledfox

either way, i'm not learning another book a month before the exam. the examiners will have to deal with a WHOLE lot of people using BNW as the related text for powerplay.

lane

I was tempted to use a short story by Poppy Z Brite as related materail for my trials. For those of you who dont know she is a very controversial writer. Luckily I didn't because some guy failed the creative section for using the F word.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
In the HSC, you won't be marked down for swearing et cetera, so long as it is appropriate for the target audience and medium (and they will probably choose a format where it would not be appropriate, heh).

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I am doing Gwen Harwood for Change and up till now I have used Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" as one of my related texts. I was wary about doing this, and asked various teachers about it. The general response was that there is no penalty for using a related text from the syllabus if you only use one and state clearly in your essays which is the main and which is the related text.

But I am still not sure about this, for despite such comments, I have come close but never received full marks for my change essay.

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Weisy
I am doing Gwen Harwood for Change and up till now I have used Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" as one of my related texts. I was wary about doing this, and asked various teachers about it. The general response was that there is no penalty for using a related text from the syllabus if you only use one and state clearly in your essays which is the main and which is the related text.

But I am still not sure about this, for despite such comments, I have come close but never received full marks for my change essay.
Teachers at my school are very reluctant to hand out 20s, but there are a lot of 19s - maybe they don't want to imply that the essay is perfect. But do you expect full marks anyway?

CoYLiE

at the last couple of english study lecture things which i have been to, all the lecturers have strongly suggested against using texts within the syllabus. This is largely due to the fact that it is not showing a wide depth of reading and originality. That is the main thing, you have to stand out against the other 60,000, and you're not going to be doing that by using a text that a lot of other people would possibly be doing...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
That is probably very true. It shouldn't hurt to have related texts from a variety of sources and choose to use them instead of others within the syllabus, and one may as well, considering one has gone to the trouble of looking widely for sources.

Bantering on about full marks and the like, I don't ever expect them, but I still think I should aim for them, seeing as to get full marks you don't have to write a 'faultless' essay, just an interesting one which conforms to the BOS Stage 6 English syllabus 'ideal'.

angel_kate

In one of my early essays i used 'My Place', not knowing that it was on the syllabus list. I got marked down for it - not heaps, but i lost a mark or two.
I would advise against using one of the syllabus texts only because it suggests a lack of originality and the markers have been marking so many papers and they may be a bit short in their attitudes.
You dont have to read another whole book though. There are heaps of great articles out there.
Try not to focus on Sept. 11 and terrorism tho, cos every man and his dog (so to say)will be doing that.
Try to think outside the square and pick out other aspects of powerplay that will 'wow' the markers.

Originally posted by boycalledfox
in the module of powerplay, my main related text is brave new world, but my other one has never been certain. so i was thinking of using an article about george bush's and the US hypocrisy and "powerplay" in regards to the "war on terror". i think it's very relevant to the module, but i'm not sure how a marker would look at this. would it be better just to go with something more acceptable?

http://www.zmag.org/terrorframe.htm

that's the site where the articles are from, check them out.
As long as you take an objective approach, it is acceptable. Just don't get carried away in the way you feel about the matter--sure, you can criticise things, but its VITAL that you have evidence to back it up.
(I did the "war on terror" for my religion assessment, and i sparked alot of controversial ideas, but i DID do it in an objective way, and didn't get penalised for it--my marks speak for themselves :))
Goodluck-- the war on terror is a fantastic idea to write on, so much to say!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)