A crap load of Induction Q's (1 Viewer)

Jase

HSC
What's the effect of a uniform magnetic field on the ring?

The rest are pretty straightforward, but a few weird things i dont get:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
for the first question
the second ring will hit the floor first
the first ring cuts fields line and by lenz law will oppose its motion
the second one does not cut field lines so will just fall freely

second question
i - anticlockwise
ii - clockwise
iii - anticlockwise

3rd question
a) i m beomces negative
ii bottom half of the rod will become negative (its not cutting perpendicular flux lines)
iii m becomes negative

b) cbf sorry :(

4th question
current goes clockwise thus oppsing the downwards force and pushing the sheet upwards

Jase

HSC
Thanks, but for the second one, i got all clockwise.

The third one, what do you mean by "the bottom half of rod"? why is any emf induced only in the "bottom half"

and the fourth, i got an anti-clockwise current.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
did u use lenz law for them all
that is, the current induced will be to create a magnetic field that will oppose the original change in flux?

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
oh shit
i did the dot meaning magnetic field into the page
and cross as coming out

lol my bad
ignore all my answers

superbird

HSC
ok we use the right hand grip rule yeh. so thumb in direction of magnetic field. curls of fingers are direction of current?

Jase

HSC
Yep thats right, although for those square loop ones.. its easier to take a test point on the side length that's closest to the centre of the field, and then use the right hand PALM rule.
at least that's what i find...

But if you use the grip rule, then you have the thumb pointing opposite to the field, due to Lenz's law. and that should give the right answers

superbird

HSC
ok so say the magnetic field is going into the page. you dont point the thumb into the page, rather point it into the opposite direction?
also could u explain a little bit more how the palm rule can be applied for induced currents (that is where u point the thumb, palm etc).
thanks very much for your help. i just get a bit confused with induced currents :s

Jase

HSC
i think Lenz's law and induction is one of the most confusing topics in HSC physics..

Well lets say you move a single rod perpendicularly through a field. Since Lenz's law says its gonna make a magnetic field that tries to oppose the movement, then you put your palm in the opposite direction of movement. Your fingers point in the same way as the original field, and the thumb is hte consequent induced current direction.

You could also switch the direction of the field, but then you have to leave your palm towards the direction of movement, i.e. you can only change the direction of one of them.

Then theres the whole loop business. Imagine that loop in 10 iii) is outside of the field.. and then you move it into the field. This means there is relative increase in field lines, so Lenz's law says the loop has to make a field that decreases that field (that is.. opposing it) So you point your thumb down into the page, and your fingers are curled clockwise.

OR you take a test point in that same scenario. Use the length that enters the field first ( the furthest to the right). Since the thing is moving to the right, it needs to produce a resistive force to the left. So point your palm left, fingers up and thumb is downwards. follow that direction around the loop and you have clockwise.

This is what i've found after doing hours of this crap.... im not sure if it works in every situation... but so far it has. You just gotta get your hands on as many of these as you can, practice them and develop your own fail proof method, just so you don't lose simple marks in the exam.

superbird

HSC
thanks heaps for that. i understand it alot better now. so basically we are using the right hand push rule but instead of the palm being place in the direction of movement, it must be placed in the opposite direction of movement. for that q10 i found that the direction of movement in all those scenarios was clockwise too :)

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Couldn't be bothered reading all of the answers given above, but here's what I got:

1st Question: Ring B will hit the ground first. The direction of motion of the ring is parallel to the magnetic field lines, so they won't interact. Using Lenz's law, the magnetic field will interact with the 1st ring, and it will oppose it's original motion.

2nd Question:
(i) clockwise
(ii) clockwise
(iii) clockwise

3rd Question:
(a) First case: EMF is produced, M is negative end.
Second Case: Wire is considered to be 2-dimensional, so no EMF produced.
Third Case: EMF is induced, M is negative.

(b) too much typing

4th Question:
(b) up

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Yup, N is negative. I thought the arrow was indicating the direction fo the force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)