A curious younger student looking into Medicine. (1 Viewer)

Starrzz

HSC
I will be doing my preliminary course in 2010 (NSW), and I was considering a career in medicine. My goal is to work in a hospital as a doctor(Physician?), the ones who do check-ups and stuff (My english sounds real bad here, but I just don't know what they are called! I looked it up and got confusing answers.).

I've read through these forums (they were a lot of help) and a couple of questions arose.

1. Do I sit for the UMAT in Year 12? If so, would our Year 12 knowledge be sufficient to complete the test?
2. If I reach the ATAR required, do I get into University straight away? I am unsure of how the whole High-School to University transfer works.
3. In university, do I take just one subject? Or is it personal preference? I am also unsure of the subjects studied in University.
4. These JCU interviews, offers, these terms confuse me. I would like to know what they are.

Thank you in advance, hope I don't sound very silly.

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
1. You take it in year 12. You can participate in UMAT preparation courses (just google it) And they supposidly prepare you for the test. I think theoretically you should be fine with the knowledge you'd have by the end of year 12.

2. Entry into med is determined by i. ATAR ii. Interveiw iii. UMAT score. You generally need a 95+ to be considered for med. Though the higher your ATAR the better the chances of getting in.

3. I'm not too sure what you mean by this, but you do a MBBS, or just a B Med (Newcastle Uni), they have pre determined classes I think. Someone might need to correct me, as I have no fucking clue.

4. You need to take an interveiw so that the university's can determine whether or not you are suited to the med program. It's a pretty tough degree, so you'd better make sure you'd show that you can cope. If everything is upto standard and all benchmarks have been made then you'll get an offer for a place in the degree. Generally you bullshit your way through this. Tell them you're doing it for the community etc.

Good luck mate

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
1. Do I sit for the UMAT in Year 12? If so, would our Year 12 knowledge be sufficient to complete the test?

Yes, the earliest time you can sit the UMAT is in Year 12. There isn't any special knowledge required, but English reading skills, logical thinking skills, empathy, etc (i.e. generic skills) are necessary to do well in the test.

2. If I reach the ATAR required, do I get into University straight away? I am unsure of how the whole High-School to University transfer works.

For medicine, you also need to attend an interview and if your scores in the three components (sometimes only two) - ATAR, UMAT, interview - are sufficient, you'll get an offer through the UAC in late January (20th for this year, but I'm not sure about other years). Your 1st semester begins with everyone else's.

3. In university, do I take just one subject? Or is it personal preference? I am also unsure of the subjects studied in University.

There are flexible courses and non-flexible courses. For flexible courses like science, you can choose your own subjects but for non-flexible ones like medicine, you'll take subjects that your uni chooses for you.
In any case, there will be many more than just one subject that you'll be studying at a particular time. If you choose to do medicine, medicine will be your degree and there will be subjects that belong to the degree.

4. These JCU interviews, offers, these terms confuse me. I would like to know what they are.

interview=in person assessment of candidates' abilities, qualities, and suitability to do medicine
interview offer=offer to have an interview
offer=course offer - if you get this, it means you'll definitely get in if you accept the offer

philphie

Banned
HSC
i thought this was about you looking for gay sex or something first...

Starrzz

HSC
Thank you for the fast replies. I guess I understand the process of it now.

So I'm thinking this UMAT is sat for at the end of the year?

And who are the people interviewing you?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

I'd say the heads of the medical faculties at the universities. Like lecturers, deans, proffesors etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

UMAT was end of July in 2009.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I'd say the heads of the medical faculties at the universities. Like lecturers, deans, proffesors etc.
different unis have different panels. but most have 2 or all of the following:
1 academic staff (professor/lecturer)
1 member from the community with no background in health sciences
1 doctor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)