A fall in inflation--> higher demand $A? (1 Viewer)

itgrl26

HSC
I'm not sure if I'm having a mental blank or really just do not know this. Does a fall in inflation lead to increased demand for the $A? My thinking is that it does as a fall in inflation leads to reduced export prices? Is that right? :S

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
itgrl26 said:
I'm not sure if I'm having a mental blank or really just do not know this. Does a fall in inflation lead to increased demand for the $A? My thinking is that it does as a fall in inflation leads to reduced export prices? Is that right? :S
I think that a lower inflation rate would mean greater ineternational competetivessness (as our goods appear cheaper overseas) and hence more foreign demand for our exports (and hence more demand for $A). Yes you are right.

ljj861125

HSC
and foreign investors might be more willing to invest into aus as they think that the economy of the country is stable, and they would consider the country has a safe environment for investment, thus they would start investing into aus and increase demand for our dollar......

Last edited:

aatulloch

HSC
another way of rationalising it is that if inflation falls real interest rates will rise (interest rates - inflation rate). That will mean Australian loans are more attractive to overseas investors. And because they will have to change their money in to $A, it will cause an increase in demand

Conspirocy

HSC
or you could use purchasing power parity

so the nominal exchange rate E should equal P (the domestic price level) over the foreign price level P*

We get this by stating that P domestic = E x P* foreign
then we re-arrange

note E is $A/$US and represents the nominal exchange rate

*** important - note that when E=$A/$US then a rise in E is an appreciation and a fall in E is a depreciation

if you took the log of this equation E=P/P*

lowercase is in terms of logs

e = p - p*

holding p* fixed

if you lower p

e has to fall to keep up with it and that represents a depreciation of the australian dollar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)