A few questions about brave new world (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Our teacher gave us these questions...
i managed to get some answers but not all of them.
1. Describe the atmosphere of the new world order and the attitudes of its characters.
i didnt get an answer 4 this. help plz?

2. Explain its motto, the social classesm the priniciples of mass production as applied to biology E.g. Bokonovsky's process
My answer:The motto "Community, identity, stability" suggests conformity. The place is a conditioning centre where poeple are conditioned.
The social classes are according to intelligence from Alphas, betas, gammas, deltas and the lowest being episolons.
In this new world, principles of mass production are used as applied to biology E.g. bokonovsky's process-with this process effs are multiplied by 72

is this rite

3. List the various rooms in the hatchery and your reactions.-the fertilizing room
i got...
-the decanting room

any reactions?

4. Hypnopaedic conditioning and explain its purpose. Give examples
-list proverbs
-language used

Hypnopaedic conditioning is sleep conditioning or sleep teaching. The purpose is to brainwash children. After thousands of sessions
from brave new world said:
"the child's mind is these suggestions,a nd the sum of the suggestions is the child's mind"
from brave new world said:
They'll grow up with the psychologists used to call an "instinctive" hatred of books and flowers. Reflexes unalterably conditioned. They'll be safe from books and botany all their lives
is this rite?

5. The history
-why is history bunk?
-Who is ford-why is he important?
-How did it come about?

i didnt get this question
ive heard of henry ford. He was the first guy to produce a mass produced car rite?
the world started after his death?

6. Discuss the way huxley presents the explination along with Lenina's behaviour and bernards thoughts. Chap 3.
My answer:
In chapter 3, the constant changing between the four settings emphasises the contrast between BNW values and those of differnt times. E.g. family vs. state home, thought vs. the constant distractions of work, play and drugs, romantic love and emotions vs. sex, religion vs. consumerism

also there are two situations involving Lenina Crowne and Bernard Marx. Lenina is in the women's change rooms talking to Fanny Crowne. Lenina admits that she has been seeing henry Foster for four months. Fanny is scandalised, and advises her to take other partners. Lenina is a little interested in Bernard, who has invited her to go to the Savage Reservation with him. She has decided to accept.
Meanwhile, Bernard who is in love with Lenina, is appaled to hear two other men discussing "having" her. He is deeply angry.

is that alrite?

help would b appreciated :)

thanks peoples

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well think about the first one. Most if not all of the people have lost the sense of inquisitive thinking. They have lost the natural rhythms of humanity by conditioning and as a result life has become so synthetic e.g. loveless sex, soma. Look at the bit in the book where Lenina gets pissed cos Bernard is hovering over the ocean, cos he actually appreciates natural beauty.

HTH

goan_crazy

HSC
thnx velox appreciate it mate
Sorry 2 bother u agen
would u b able 2 help me with characther and significance of their name
for john the savage i got:
He was naturally born, not masproduced and is seen as a "savage" by the BNW. He is also alienated from his village on New Mexico savage reservation, and he finds himself similarly unable to fit in to the World State Society

Bernard Marx-Bernard's surname recalls Karl Marx, the 19th century German Author best known for writing Capital, a monumental critique of capitalist society

HelmholtZ Watson:
??
couldnt get info 4 this

Lenina Crowne:
??
couldnt get info 4 this

Mustapha Mond
The name Mond means "world" and Mond is the most powerful character in the world of this novel

thanks

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ill read my notes tomoz, but Lenina is a reference to 'Lenin'[something about shakespeare comes up in my head] .....as i said ill read my notes tomoz, its in there somewhere....

goan_crazy

HSC
velox said:
Ill read my notes tomoz, but Lenina is a reference to 'Lenin'[something about shakespeare comes up in my head] .....as i said ill read my notes tomoz, its in there somewhere....
thanks velox :)
appreciate it
uv been a gr8 help
PM me once uv found it out
thanks dude
joe

bEAbEA

HSC
In regard to question 1 – The characters from the New World State are all missing features that we would regard of as human. Eg. Love, death, birth, having a family, spirituality, friendships etc.

Bec_NOT_Brooke

HSC
re: 5

i think your heading in the rite track.
henry ford was important, coz he mass produced all those cars, like what BNW is doing with the boks thingy. i think history is ingnored coz of the problem of individuality and stability,
hope this helped

(hi Bethany and shell)

goan_crazy

HSC
bEAbEA said:
In regard to question 1 – The characters from the New World State are all missing features that we would regard of as human. Eg. Love, death, birth, having a family, spirituality, friendships etc.
Bec_NOT_Brooke said:
i think your heading in the rite track.
henry ford was important, coz he mass produced all those cars, like what BNW is doing with the boks thingy. i think history is ingnored coz of the problem of individuality and stability,
hope this helped

(hi Bethany and shell)
thanks guys 4 ur help :)

snowblack

bleh
HSC
this doesnt answer your question...but its relevant to BR & BNW cos it links to in the wild

snowblack

bleh
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
thnx velox appreciate it mate
Sorry 2 bother u agen
would u b able 2 help me with characther and significance of their name
for john the savage i got:
He was naturally born, not masproduced and is seen as a "savage" by the BNW. He is also alienated from his village on New Mexico savage reservation, and he finds himself similarly unable to fit in to the World State Society

Bernard Marx-Bernard's surname recalls Karl Marx, the 19th century German Author best known for writing Capital, a monumental critique of capitalist society

HelmholtZ Watson:
??
couldnt get info 4 this

Lenina Crowne:
??
couldnt get info 4 this

Mustapha Mond
The name Mond means "world" and Mond is the most powerful character in the world of this novel

thanks
why do you have to analyse the names of the characters ?
for john the savage, our teacher said that hes actually representative of Jean Jacques Rousseau's maxim of the "Noble Savage", i.e. man that is not corrupted by society and is close to nature, thus making him "free" and at one with himself
lenina is a play on words of lenin, who was invovled in the russian revolution of 1917 (this is historical context stuff)
helmholtz....is some weird name huxley came up with :D

snowblack

bleh
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
5. The history
-why is history bunk?
-Who is ford-why is he important?
-How did it come about?

i didnt get this question
ive heard of henry ford. He was the first guy to produce a mass produced car rite?
the world started after his death?
"history is bunk" is a famous quote by ford, its representative of BNW's ideals because the past is unstable and we've learnt from the mistakes of the past.Once we've done that, the past ceases to be important. He copied the mass production line to produce cars that were identical and people didnt have a choice on what kind of colour etc they wanted. The production/of cloning of people is symbolic of the mass production line, where identity and individuality is sacrificed/dehumanised so more of what clones are needed can be produced to keep "society" stable...hope this helps

goan_crazy

HSC
thanx snowblack 4 ur help :) i appreciate it

im gonna hav 2 continue this work after i recover after my operation

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
joe have you tried the resources. the resources has all the info tht you need for your questions. it actually covers them quite extensively!!! that is why there is that section of the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)