a few questions about social inquiry (1 Viewer)

lmj

HSC
Hey there,
I was hoping someone could give me a hand here... I'm really interested in pursuing a career in something like aid work or diplomacy, something along those lines. I really like the look of the Social Inquiry course @ UTS, but from reading the other threads I can see what people mean about the lack of direction. Basically, do you think this is an option for me, if this is the kind of work I'd like to end up doin? Someone told me combining the SI with a law degree would make it more likely to get me into politics, would you agree? I just don't know if this course is on the right track... does anyone know what most people who take SI are thinking career wise?
I'd appreciate any advice!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
most people i know doing it seem to enjoy it.
personally i think communications at oots is just shit, but that's not overly constructive.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I know two people doing it out of all the people I've met so I'd so it isnt the most popular choice for communications but thats also probably because the vocational area is a bit different to the others. From talking to those people and looking at the handbook it seems to be basically a sociology/politics strand with an interrnship with parliament at the end if you so choose. You'll also get about 4 electives which you can choose other UTS subjects [including a second internship], or even take subjects from USYD, UNSW, MQ, ACU, UWS etc.

You'd also be able to broaden your degree if you choose to combine it with international studies, which is probably [I stress the word probably] the best way to get into diplomatic related ventures. An alternative to this would probably the BInternational Studies at MQ, in which you do a strand of political history, study a european or asian language, undertake a two semester internship overseas(i think).

As far as the socio-political aspects go, the main thing UTS seems to have going for it is the proffessional placement/internship programs otherwise I think degrees in the same area from other universities would serve you just as well albeit without the practical experience. Another degree you might find interesting to compare social inquiry with, is USYD's BEconomics & Social Sciences as that leads into similar areas - though it does have a larger focus on economics.

Regarding the law degree...you don't have to have one, technically you could be without any qualifications and still be a politician. However a knowledge of the law wouldn't go astray in this field and many seem to think that having a LLB will improve their employability in their non-law degree, so perhaps thats true here as well.

In addition, the people I've spoken to seem to be interested in similar areas as to which you refer, though I don't know how valid those interests are as I'm not overly familiar with this field.

HSC
I'm not sure what the people in social inquiry really think about towards their career generally, it seems tobe one of those degrees you can complement with anything people related. However, the people who I know who are doing social inquiry for the actual social inquiry element all seem to be genuinely interested in aid work & NGO- work etc - not too sure about the diplomacy-thing, that seems more of a politics related course. However if you want to do aid work, non-govt organisational work, policy involvement, social inquiry is really good, and i think it has its advantage with the structure of the degree being so vocationally-based. Like the social inquiry classes make you get out there and make you get involved in the actual hands-on work, and get used to doing the kind social-research and policy thing that you have to do out there.

But I only did one year of it so I'm not too sure how the upper-level courses work, because social research/social policy/sociology/social anything is really not my interest. WHich is kind of odd, cos I really like the politics subjects at the moment. So be careful about whether you want to do social reserach, aid work, policy work OR politics, cos I personally found politics quite different. I guess I just like studying the lives of the power hungry. :D

lmj

HSC
Thanks for answering me guys, it was a great help!

madelyn

HSC
If you dont mind me asking (I don't really understand much about UNI) but does this course relate somehow to journalism? I'm interested in maybe combining this with international studies in order to work in international aid or diplomacy something, but I'd also like to pursue journalism as well.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
madelyn said:
If you dont mind me asking (I don't really understand much about UNI) but does this course relate somehow to journalism? I'm interested in maybe combining this with international studies in order to work in international aid or diplomacy something, but I'd also like to pursue journalism as well.
While this course is a communications course, it doesn't focus on journalism perse - its more about social policy and research, working with the government and the community etc.

If you wish to study journalism then your best bet is to apply for the Journalism strand of this course which will still permit you to study Social Inquiry as your submajor. You'd also be able to combine Journalism with International Studies or Law too. There is also the opportunity to combine your study with Diplomas through USYD or TAFE or even Bachelors through MQ if you so wish.

obtaria

Special
HSC
I'm in my first year of Social Inquiry/Law, and of all the communications subjects, social inquiry is the most interesting. It's pretty much like HSC Society and Culture, but there's just alot more thinking involved.

SI opens your eyes to alot of things in the world you wouldn't otherwise think of. So even if your career doesn't end up related to SI at all, you've still learnt some valuable lessons.

lexonfire

HSC
for those wanting to combine this or another communications course with int stds, but they dont make the cut-off... is it possible to somehow pick up int stds in 2nd year, if you just do the single degree in 1st year?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
lexonfire said:
for those wanting to combine this or another communications course with int stds, but they dont make the cut-off... is it possible to somehow pick up int stds in 2nd year, if you just do the single degree in 1st year?
Yes, in the double your international studies subjects only start in second year so you don't miss out on any subjects. You just apply and if you have sufficient grades then you're in. Even if you miss out the first time you can use your electives to mimic the second year of the double and transfer into it at the end of second year with no problems. So don't fuss if you don't get the international double right away.

Ademir

HSC
I wanted to do this course with law but it pissed me off that UTS is crap when it comes to history.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I hope I am.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Ademir said:
I wanted to do this course with law but it pissed me off that UTS is crap when it comes to history.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I hope I am.
UTS is pretty weak on history and on 'traditional' humanities more generally.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
UTS has a lot of writing, communication, media, cultural studies and so on in its humanities faculty. It's not so big on history, classics, philosophy, literature and all that stuff. (As you'd expect from a technology university.)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
UTS is pretty weak on history and on 'traditional' humanities more generally.
It doesn't offer them, that's why it's weak in them.:p

lexonfire said:
really? man i had no idea... can someone tell me what its strengths are then?
The more practical applications of the humanities are where UTS' strength lies; it *does* have a good sociology program (hence the social inquiry major) but the closest thing to the traditional humanities that UTS offers is cultural studies and a very small handful of history subjects.

lexonfire

HSC
thats alright.. thats cool, i basically knew all of that already, i wasnt sure what they meant by traditional humanities... but that isnt such a bad thing though, is it? u can take electives across unis, or am i wrong?

im excited abuot its sociology and writing subjects... uhh but yeah, if u can take up something from another uni, that'd be mad

Ademir

HSC
lexonfire said:
thats alright.. thats cool, i basically knew all of that already, i wasnt sure what they meant by traditional humanities... but that isnt such a bad thing though, is it? u can take electives across unis, or am i wrong?

im excited abuot its sociology and writing subjects... uhh but yeah, if u can take up something from another uni, that'd be mad
its not if you want you do a combined degree like me which means you get no electives :(

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
lexonfire said:
For your elective you can take any subject from any university, faculty and area that will have you. In the the uni admin's own words 'do rocket science if you want'.
Ademir said:
its not if you want you do a combined degree like me which means you get no electives
If you want it combined with International Studies then you get just as many electives as someone in the single degree, if you combine with law then you get a single elective.

Ademir

HSC
kami said:
For your elective you can take any subject from any university, faculty and area that will have you. In the the uni admin's own words 'do rocket science if you want'.

If you want it combined with International Studies then you get just as many electives as someone in the single degree, if you combine with law then you get a single elective.
yeah I want to do it with law.

A single elective isn't enough to do a major at another uni, is it? please say it is!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)