a few questions about social inquiry (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ademir said:
yeah I want to do it with law.

A single elective isn't enough to do a major at another uni, is it? please say it is!
You get 8 cp to use as an elective, you'd need about 48 cp in a given subject to get a major (UTS/USYD/UOW/UNSW). I think that might fall just a little bit short.:p

You could always do a concurrent Diploma from USYD or MQ though; USYD offers a DipArts and DipLang for students of other faculties/universities which is covered under HECS and MQ offers a DipLang for any student who wishes to apply. They won't be credited to your degree (rather they'll be their own qualification) but you can still do them. It's a fair bit of work but quite doable - you essentially do a major from an area in the arts faculty but with no other subjects from that uni but that area.

There's also a thing at MQ called concurrency where you can pick up any of their bachelors and combine it with your own and still have it all covered in HECS. It can make travel complicated but if you really want that then the option is there.

Alternatively, do the single degree with graduate law, the length of time won't be all that different (I think it'd be a semester more than if you did the double) and you'll get all those juicy electives in your first degree. Some food for thought.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ademir said:
Does UTS offer graduate law?
Yup, they currently offer grad law as the Masters of Law and Legal Practice but they're replacing that with the JD next year:
http://www.law.uts.edu.au/courses/whichcourse.html said:
In 2008 we will introduce the UTS Juris Doctor (JD) for graduates from other disciplines who wish to practice law.

Ademir

HSC
kami said:
Yup, they currently offer grad law as the Masters of Law and Legal Practice but they're replacing that with the JD next year:
Does that offer you the same qualifications as a law degree anywhere else?

also, do you know anything about the requirements of getting in (UAI, tertiary average etc.)

thanks, so far your answers have been really helpful :D

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ademir said:
Does that offer you the same qualifications as a law degree anywhere else?

also, do you know anything about the requirements of getting in (UAI, tertiary average etc.)

thanks, so far your answers have been really helpful :D
Just like the LLB it readies you to practice for Law, after that (like with LLB) you just need a brief stint to get some practical certificate which gets you onto the bar or somesuch - you'd be better off asking the law people. I believe the entry requirements for Masters are based off of your tertiary results and what you write in your application/interview/whatever.

Ademir

HSC
kami said:
Just like the LLB it readies you to practice for Law, after that (like with LLB) you just need a brief stint to get some practical certificate which gets you onto the bar or somesuch - you'd be better off asking the law people. I believe the entry requirements for Masters are based off of your tertiary results and what you write in your application/interview/whatever.
OK thanks alot for all the help =)

krayzie_

HSC
kami said:
Juris Doctor, I reckon the MLLP name sounded way better, btw is it still considered a Masters degree or has it just been revamped to completely something else? Oh the shorter semester sounds good though lol

HSC
Seriously doubt I can get into UTS for journalism. I am expecting a mid 80s UAI. Would the social inquiry course be good for me? Would it open up pathways in a journalism career?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
i-love-maynard said:
Seriously doubt I can get into UTS for journalism. I am expecting a mid 80s UAI. Would the social inquiry course be good for me? Would it open up pathways in a journalism career?
Yeah, apart from a direct hands on journalism course, pretty much any arts degree focused into media, politics, cultural studies, writing etc. is as good as anything else. It's not like they'll knock you back for having an arts degree with another focus - apart from the general job interview questions (job experience, where do you see yourself in the company etc.), employers really only ask for a portfolio of writing samples so as to check you're not just some random off of the street. So social inquiry is fine.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
what are the actual job prospects for the social inquiry course? what if i combined it with international studies? is it mainly policy advising and stuff, or are there things i don't know about?

knotsandcrosses

HSC
i was offered this in the main round this year... im still thinking whether to do this or just wait for later rounds...

janadc

HSC
omg please do not do social inquiry...worst degree ever. pretty much everyone in my class hated it and a lot of us managed to transfer out of it. the whole year i felt like i had no future... they don't teach you anything relevant to politics or anythiing like that, basically we were doing things like "why is punctuality necessary in society" and "what social class do you think you belong to" in first semester then in second semester we were being taught how to research for the entire semester... it killed me it seriously did

Last edited:

knotsandcrosses

HSC
omg please do not do social inquiry...worst degree ever. pretty much everyone in my class hated it and a lot of us managed to transfer out of it. the whole year i felt like i had no future... they don't teach you anything relevant to politics or anythiing like that, basically we were doing things like "why is punctuation necessary in society" and "what social class do you think you belong to" in first semester then in second semester we were being taught how to research for the entire semester... it killed me it seriously did
wow really? it was that terrible? tell me more about it. and what did you guys transfer too?

janadc

HSC
OMG i wrote this full long reply and then it deleted!! arghh!!

hmm ok so basically if you're all about saving the world and making a difference you might like this course but if you want a stable career and wanna be stimulated and actually learn stuff at uni then this isnt the course for you.

other communication strands do stuff thats relevant to their future career, so map do a lot of video recording and editting and stuff like that and journalism attend press conferences and have deadlines to write articles and have to research things prevalent in society today but social inquiry doesn't do much for your future career as a politican or a social researcher. we did two major assignments that were sort of interesting and relavent but didn't teach me anything...basically one was a participation observation report where you had to attend a function so like a wedding/sports match/conference and then discuss the social themes that were evident in the arena so gender/race/etc and then second semester we had to interview a family member or friend about their lives and again look at how social themes had played an affect on them.

so the plusses of this course are that its pretty easy, doesnt require much studying or memorising or anything like that and the assignments are easy to bs
but the downsides are that you don't learn anything relevant to a future career, the classes are hella boring, and you feel devo everytime you attend a class cos all your other friends are learning how to be accountants or journalists or wtv and you're not learning to be anything..cos you're not actually learning anything at all

knotsandcrosses

HSC
OMG i wrote this full long reply and then it deleted!! arghh!!

hmm ok so basically if you're all about saving the world and making a difference you might like this course but if you want a stable career and wanna be stimulated and actually learn stuff at uni then this isnt the course for you.

other communication strands do stuff thats relevant to their future career, so map do a lot of video recording and editting and stuff like that and journalism attend press conferences and have deadlines to write articles and have to research things prevalent in society today but social inquiry doesn't do much for your future career as a politican or a social researcher. we did two major assignments that were sort of interesting and relavent but didn't teach me anything...basically one was a participation observation report where you had to attend a function so like a wedding/sports match/conference and then discuss the social themes that were evident in the arena so gender/race/etc and then second semester we had to interview a family member or friend about their lives and again look at how social themes had played an affect on them.

so the plusses of this course are that its pretty easy, doesnt require much studying or memorising or anything like that and the assignments are easy to bs
but the downsides are that you don't learn anything relevant to a future career, the classes are hella boring, and you feel devo everytime you attend a class cos all your other friends are learning how to be accountants or journalists or wtv and you're not learning to be anything..cos you're not actually learning anything at all
wow. how many continued? and how many transferred?

now im really not sure.. if i dont get any more offers. ill see how this goes. i hate it, ill transfer.

where did you transfer too? anything related to this course?

and why did you choose social inquiry?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)