• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A few questions (1 Viewer)

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok thanks.
Btw were you previously enrolled in Commerce but dropped out, you are very knowledgeable in this area!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't like the term 'dropped out'. I prefer "transferred because Commerce is the most boring and dull thing ever and there's no atmosphere in the lectures".

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
yes, the "dismal science" but I can't imagine mathematics to be much of a step up in terms of lecture atmosphere?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There's a few lecturers who make lectures fun and interesting.

There was one lecture I had where I constantly questioned my need to wake up at 6am for though.

But I like my Arts lectures for atmosphere, personally.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
do lectures really benefit your study? I have a low attention span and rarely listened in class, relying on textbooks only.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
do lectures really benefit your study? I have a low attention span and rarely listened in class, relying on textbooks only.
Yes. For instance, in second year maths, there were no textbooks. People learned very quickly to pay attention in lectures.

But for you, Commerce/Eco, there should always be textbooks so you might get away with it. Though I know my FINS1612 lecturer would troll and put stuff on the slides and then go "oh btw, not examinable" or not examine or even consider major parts of certain chapters. Meaning the lecture skippers/textbook readers would be at a massive disadvantage.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
In English? No...? It's just textual analysis, seeing how techniques can be used to... and then it depends what you're studying.

If you're studying genre, you analyse how techniques affect genre.

If you're studying Elizabethan texts, you analyse common technique themes in Elizabethan texts.

If you're studying Postmodernism, you analyse how techniques in the work can make the text be seen as 'postmodern'.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
ah I see, i thought there would be a class that specifically analyzes the philosophical undertones in texts

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There probably is. Look around in the UNSW Handbook, or School of Arts and Media website for it - it'll double as course research if you ever decide you want in on English.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
hello again. For some reason I can't post in the other thread because it says "do you want to leave the page" every time I press "post quick reply". Anyway, I was wondering if buying the textbook for each course was necessary as there are pdf versions of them available or they can be borrowed at teh library?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You click 'yes, i want to leave the page'

And there are PDF versions that are... illegal, or perhaps not current. And they sometimes cannot be borrowed from the library - and if they are, it's either only for 2 hours, or you got an old edition that'll be useless in some form.

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
You click 'yes, i want to leave the page'

And there are PDF versions that are... illegal, or perhaps not current. And they sometimes cannot be borrowed from the library - and if they are, it's either only for 2 hours, or you got an old edition that'll be useless in some form.
When I click "leave the page" it takes me to "this website cannot be displayed"... anyway, I will buy them in case the lecturer finds out and I get sent to jail

lordfraction

HSC
Uni Grad
more questions:
- Is it possible to have 3 majors in com/eco without going to summer school?
- anre there lockers at the campus where I can store my stuff?

thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
more questions:
- Is it possible to have 3 majors in com/eco without going to summer school?
- anre there lockers at the campus where I can store my stuff?

thanks.
1. Yes, but have fun being at uni for like six years.
2. Yes, you have to hire them out though. Ask Arc how to hire them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)