A few quick essay writing questions.... (1 Viewer)

gwemma88

HSC
Help me. Come on... it wont take you long! I promise!

Ok just a few questions....

I am writing a practise AoS essay and I am wondering....

*I know to underline titles of novels and plays (Tempest), but what do i do with song titles, film titles, cartoon titles and poem titles? Do i underline them, or put them in inverted commas, or what? I am hand writing so italics is not an option.

*What do i call a person in the song. They are not a narrator, they are not a character, it is not the songwriter. Do i call them the 'persona' or the 'traveller' or what?

*what is the audience of a song is called. i mean, for a book you have a 'reader' for a film you have a 'viewer' but what about with a song?

Thanks a bunch for helping.

Last edited:

Addictd2

HSC
im not sure bout the inverted commas vs underline. i can post that later when i get my book.

but in a prelim essay i used persona for the person in the song.
and i think u can say audience for song because people use audience for poetry because its "spoken verse".

fat_penguin

HSC
- you'd underline every title you have, it doesn't matter what text type it is
- i'm not sure about this one, but i think you can use persona...
- we were taught that in all texts you should term the audience "responders," [i think my teacher was saying that's the term in the syllabus now] and not use readers/viewers etc etc

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
fat_penguin said:
- i'm not sure about this one, but i think you can use persona...
i suggest that you don't. be on the safe side.

fat_penguin said:
- we were taught that in all texts you should term the audience "responders," [i think my teacher was saying that's the term in the syllabus now] and not use readers/viewers etc etc
when used collectively, the 'audience' of many text types are 'responders'. however, when only referring to ONE text type (either one or more than one text), use the appropriate term. prose = reader, film = viewer, etc...

also, another thing: strongly advise you to use the term 'composer's unless you are collectively mentioning the 'composers' of many many texts of different text types collectively. however, as mentioned before, if only referring to one text type, then use the appropriate term. prose = novelist/writer/author, poetry = poet, film = director, play = playwriter, etc...

in general: use the correct and preferred terms when possible!

Sam.

bored.
HSC
When writing about a character within a song I also used the word protagonist. I'm assuming it's a song involving a character going on an imaginative journey, which would effectively make him the protagonist of a text. For a song, as well as composer, I referred to the lyricist and artist.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)