A few thoughts on Mathematics (1 Viewer)

HSC
Recently I was looking on youtube about mathematics videos and came on NJ Wildberger's video about how rigour has declined since classical times. I have no watched the whole series, but only the video about the introduction to his examples of where rigour has declined and logic gone out the window.

Also reading Derek Buchanan's notes on what a professional vs amateur mathematician is (BTW Who is Derek Buchanan? He's got a heap of 4u lectures O__O AND the past papers...oh the past papers...) and also what some teachers at my school have said about the blue MANSW 4u solution book...how it's inaccurate or something.

This got me thinking about, how do I say, the bitchiness ?? (I'm not expressing myself well here... - someone give me a word) of the subject.

What are all your thoughts on this? I am just another 4U student...but with a keen interest in the subject matter, could someone shed some light, or just an opinion for that matter?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rigour declining: Can you show us the video? Did he mean rigour in schools? Because a rigourous argument would be quite a difficult concept for most students to grasp in High School.

Buchanan: He is a Mathematics teacher at Taylors College and also posts on these forums.

MANSW 4U Solutions: Haven't looked at their solutions in detail, but I don't quite know what your teachers mean by 'inaccuracies'.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
that dude was my lecturer in 2010, absolute machine would just walk in with just chalk in his pockets and would tear shit up

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I had Wildberger as a tutor for several variable calculus... he was alright at what he did. Wouldn't say the best... but he marked tests leniently, which was nice.

IamBread

HSC
I had him for discrete this semester, I really liked him.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I had Wildberger as a tutor for several variable calculus... he was alright at what he did. Wouldn't say the best... but he marked tests leniently, which was nice.
i wish i had him for 2111 :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)