A letter to the Board of Studies re: Paper 2 and its stupidity... (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
ogmzergrush said:

I'm with you! Viva la moon landing revolucion! Doing it for the kids, fuck yeah, wahoo!
Haha.. very, very funny. :)

AsyLum said:
You've totally missed the point havent you.

We know the system is fucked. Yes, thats given. What he's suggesting is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. What in fuck's name are you going to do with 20 minutes, AGAIN, if you don't have the skills nor knowledge to actually apply it to the question? I could give you years asking you to fly, but are you going to suddenly sprout wings and fly?

Additionally, the point of the exercise is to introduce you to limits, rules, caps, regulations. DEAL WITH IT. Or be a rebel, and write beyond that. Society is based on rules and regulations, business is based on the same things. Our very culture is one of social organisation. So i'll be very suprised to hear that you don't need these rules. (the very notion of rebelling is in fact an acknowledgement of the rules, and NOT following them, rather than not acknowledging them at all)

"The HSC is largely irrelevant in life" yadda yadda.
The HSC SHOULD be irrelevant to your life, ITS A FUCKING EXAM. The skills you learn on the other hand aren't. Whether implicitly or actively, the habits, skills, knowledge you gain, or dont, will formulate your future development. You can't have a present, without a past.
You need to chill the fuck out. I suggested a simple letter of complaint, not an organised bombing of Sydney.

Also, you claimed sNiPeR_24 had "totally missed the point" (which he had), but continued to say that my suggestion was "worthless" because "what in fuck's name are you going to do with 20 minutes".

I'm sorry, but it was very firmly established in my (and others') posts that the extra time would allow students to simply demonstrate how much they know, because I believed the comparison between material learnt and the given time to express yourself in an exam was unfair.

-

I'm going to have a chat to my english teachers tomorrow, see what they think. I thank those who have replied constructively, on either side of the scale.

poloktim said:
Funnily enough, you don't go through year 11/12 just for those examinations. Sure they make up a part, but think of all the knowledge you get from the subject, from study. That stays with you longer than you can care about your HSC marks.

Besides, you're just a pesky student. Who cares what you think.
Well so far I have about 6 different schools (some from BOS members, others from my friends/teachers/etc.) that are interested in signing the letter. One student is easily ignored, however I feel a number of schools combined is not.

Plus, I know people who work in local newspapers. I could start up a shitfight if I wanted, but i'm more keen on simply making the issue known rather than stirring up trouble.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Plus, I know people who work in local newspapers. I could start up a shitfight if I wanted, but i'm more keen on simply making the issue known rather than stirring up trouble.
*yawn*

I know how to get media attention for your cause! I'll run up and down george st with "60 MINUTES FOR ENGLISH SECTION II" tattooed on my arse.

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
*yawn*

I know how to get media attention for your cause! I'll run up and down george st with "60 MINUTES FOR ENGLISH SECTION II" tattooed on my arse.
You're going to be sorry you suggested that. :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
You need to chill the fuck out. I suggested a simple letter of complaint, not an organised bombing of Sydney.

Also, you claimed sNiPeR_24 had "totally missed the point" (which he had), but continued to say that my suggestion was "worthless" because "what in fuck's name are you going to do with 20 minutes".

I'm sorry, but it was very firmly established in my (and others') posts that the extra time would allow students to simply demonstrate how much they know, because I believed the comparison between material learnt and the given time to express yourself in an exam was unfair.
Haha, you misunderstand my words of expression as aggression.

This concept of "firmly established." Im sorry, i didn't read Scientist this month, please explain to us this spatial relationship with tests, inequality, and the firm belief held by a miniscule surveying of participants.

Unfair? Fairness is a relational concept, one is only unfairly treated, if another is advantaged by something. If all students are doing the same exam, in the same conditions, in the same time, there is a distinct push to limit 'unfair' or uncontrollable factors. THUS, your point is null and void. Thanks, please try again.

I'm going to have a chat to my english teachers tomorrow, see what they think. I thank those who have replied constructively, on either side of the scale.

Well so far I have about 6 different schools (some from BOS members, others from my friends/teachers/etc.) that are interested in signing the letter. One student is easily ignored, however I feel a number of schools combined is not.

Combine all you want, your logic fails, as has been proven time, and time, and time, and time again.

"I know people who work in local newspapers" Whoop-de-fucking-do. Cry me a river. Welcome to my life. *insert generous emo serving here*

NB: If you hadn't already guessed, those other posts were taking the piss out of you.

^___^
HSC
i think the *short* timeframe hsc english has, is to distinguish the ppl that know their stuff(ie knows what the question is asking and hence answer accordingly) to the people that read the text night before and memorising quotes

if you have like fucken 5hrs to complete the essay, i say most of the people would throw in shit thats not asked in the questiions (to make them look good)
but if only have like an hr or so to do it, you would make use every single second and directly answer the question. If you don't know your stuff well and attempt to answer the question in an hr, chances are your response will be utter bullshit and from a marker's point of view, either this person doesn't know how to answer a question(lack of practice) or he doesn't know shit

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I'm still confused as to why people would want to extend an examination by an extra hour?

Next thing you know, you'll be writing bad poetry and having a cry on anybody's shoulder.

Götterfunken

HSC
Ugh. I just had my paper two. It was evil, evil. Though I don’t really have any problem with the time limit (well, I do, I think the test should be a one minute event consisting of writing your name, and indicating what UAI you would like! ;)); I think the time limit encourages you to practise making your arguments succinct, and saying what you have to do with out lots of pointless ‘waffle’.

Though, I agree with what some of said; the HSC is just a game with peculiar rules, and if you want to go well, you have to try and follow those rules, even they may be suckish and contrived. The markers are aware of the time limit, and of course this is factored into their marking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)