• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A little question with subject choices... (1 Viewer)

sassquach

HSC
So I did accelerated Modern History and did awfully (low-80), and this year I'm doing 4 Unit english and Music 1...

Now I'm deciding between D&T and Ancient History...
I think I might like Ancient, and with DT i can get a band 6 pretty easily...

But since I struggled with modern, do you think I should pick up ancient? I mean, although I got a horrible mark I did come 1st in my class with a course mark of 87 (which was scaled down considerably)...

Help me decidee

sassquach

HSC
But wouldnt Design and Technology scale me down, whereas if I do quite well in Ancient, it will help my ATAR?

I'm actually much more confident in history essays now that Modern is over, and I now know how to actually revise and study a history topic...

Plus I want to concentrate most of my efforts on 4 unit english, and with that giant major work for DT constantly being in the way (although there is that giant Ancient syllabus...)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Well pick whatever you fell comfortable with but please make sure you're not soelly picking a subject for the scaling.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Well pick whatever you fell comfortable with but please make sure you're not soelly picking a subject for the scaling.
Exactly what Dragonmaster said. I did most of my subjects solely for scaling, and now I regret it. If I chose a few humanities I was initially good at, such as Economics and Modern History, my ATAR would've inflated dramatically.

So stick with what you enjoy. All the best :).

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Why not give Modern a go again? (Are you allowed to repeat a subject?)
Considering you're familiar with the content and skills and all.
If not, I'd suggest Ancient. Because, as you've said, you know the way things work with histories now. Although I don't know whether there are any differences between Ancient & Mod (apart from content that is).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What ATAR are you aiming for sassquach?

If it's less than 85 by all means pick the one in which you think you'll do better at. If it's post-85, you should give a little heed to scaling. Why? 4u Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and all those render a 93-ish ATAR even if you get state average in all of them (P50). Meanwhile, do General and all those low scaling subjects and get 55-ish ATAR at state average.

I call it: "Playing the ATAR Game". Unless you are super super super confident that you will ace low scaling subjects you like, you can go for it - just don't bet on a 99.95 or anywhere near 99. It's possible, but don't put your money on it.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Pick the one you'll like more.

Do you know the reason for scaling? Its to compensate for the difficulty of the course. So no, don't pick D&T just for the Band 6. I can assure you, four times out of five, you won't get that band six if you hate the subject.

sassquach

HSC
well I'm aiming for 90+ for my ATAR
looking through the ancient syllabus, it looks pretty interesting so I dont know
I might go with ancient...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay, go with Ancient then - although you sure you don't want to do any Maths?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
well I'm aiming for 90+ for my ATAR
looking through the ancient syllabus, it looks pretty interesting so I dont know
I might go with ancient...
Do ancient then - do the subject you aremost ineterested in as you'll most likely do better in it :)

Tofuu

HSC
if you like ancient, do it, since you have already done it, doing it again will just be revision and hence your knowledge in the subject will grow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)