A message to 2015'ers (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
In light of all the advice that is being passed around recently, I'd like to offer my own perspective on the HSC.

The do X hours of study per day thing is stupid. There is a whole year ahead of you. The HSC is an emotional roller coaster and you will undoubtedly go through highs and lows. On some days you will feel absolutely drained of energy and unmotivated, whilst on other days you will feel ready to take on any workload. My advice would be to ride the highs and cruise the lows. Push yourself, but not to unhealthy amounts. It's OKAY to not do work on days where you are exhausted, or days where there is simply not much of a workload. In fact, you'd probably be doing your brain a favor by relaxing on those days (neuroscience supports this). However, please do not mistaken procrastination for resting :p

Also, you need to figure out what is best for YOU. There is no "one-size-fits-all" advice. I did not do all assigned homework, I did not finish reading two of my prescribed texts for English (Hamlet and Fiftieth Gate), and I played games practically everyday. But I believed it to be (mostly) beneficial to me, and I ended up achieving an ATAR of 99.60. This goes to show how you really need to take any received advice including my own with a grain of salt. Receive advice --> evaluate advice --> incorporate aspects of advice which you agree with/see beneficial. You need to understand how you most effectively learn, have a feel of your study stamina and discipline, etc.

Note: I am not promoting a lazy attitude to the HSC but instead a more mindful approach.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
In light of all the advice that is being passed around recently, I'd like to offer my own perspective on the HSC.

The do X hours of study per day thing is stupid. There is a whole year ahead of you. The HSC is an emotional roller coaster and you will undoubtedly go through highs and lows. On some days you will feel absolutely drained of energy and unmotivated, whilst on other days you will feel ready to take on any workload. My advice would be to ride the highs and cruise the lows. Push yourself, but not to unhealthy amounts. It's OKAY to not do work on days where you are exhausted, or days where there is simply not much of a workload. In fact, you'd probably be doing your brain a favor by relaxing on those days (neuroscience supports this). However, please do not mistaken procrastination for resting :p

Also, you need to figure out what is best for YOU. There is no "one-size-fits-all" advice. I did not do all assigned homework, I did not finish reading two of my prescribed texts for English (Hamlet and Fiftieth Gate), and I played games practically everyday. But I believed it to be (mostly) beneficial to me, and I ended up achieving an ATAR of 99.60. This goes to show how you really need to take any received advice including my own with a grain of salt. Receive advice --> evaluate advice --> incorporate aspects of advice which you agree with/see beneficial. You need to understand how you most effectively learn, have a feel of your study stamina and discipline, etc.

Note: I am not promoting a lazy attitude to the HSC but instead a more mindful approach.
This is so true. None of my friends were able to breeze through the hsc without being close to burn out or giving up. (except those who don't even try haha)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)