A new UAI calculator (1 Viewer)

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
I've just finished a UAI calculator ;)

you need the microsoft .net framework for it to run.
you can get that from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

(or download directly from here )

it uses the 2003 data the uac released the other day. its probobly the same as all the other uai estimators, but meh, it was a fun few hours of coding :p

you can download it from here or from the attachment to this thread.

any feedback would be appreciated :)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
nice..but the file's huge, 23.1MB!
Yeah it is, but you see the Framework is just a one off thing and once installed deployment of applications is so much better i mean if you're a good developer you'll end up having a extremely powerful application under 1 megabyte in file size.

Winston

HSC
I also must say it's quite buggy this app, and you've missed out alot of things, and i've also hit into a Run-time error, perhaps you should of included global exception handling.

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
i've just tested it on my other computers, and it runs fine. (very different specs and os)

could you be more descriptive of any problems you're having?

thanks.

Winston

HSC
ohhh lol it was just a one off thing the exception error don't worry

you forgot to add a manifest file to your exe and also for your listbox i think you should set the anchor properties so that ie moves a little better, and like if you open a .uai i think you need to add a New feature so we can create a new .uai doc instead of extiing the app, and the layout of it is so far so good not bad, but it can be improved a little for the readibility, and enable visual styles for ur buttons dammit it :p yes im a gui freak hehe

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
ok, thanks for the feedback.

what would adding a manifest achieve?

I wasn't expecting people to resize the app, nothing should be off-screen when its the default size.

to make a new .uai, you can just press "clear all", add the new subjects, then click save as and choose a new file name.

hehe, i use win2k, so buttons are just plain old buttons, ive never heard of "visual styles".

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Smurfwow
ok, thanks for the feedback.

what would adding a manifest achieve?

I wasn't expecting people to resize the app, nothing should be off-screen when its the default size.

to make a new .uai, you can just press "clear all", add the new subjects, then click save as and choose a new file name.

hehe, i use win2k, so buttons are just plain old buttons, ive never heard of "visual styles".

Right.. you're not an XP user so disregard the manifest file.

ahh ok well at least add a new menu item called new and just call upon the clear all button click event

And also add a label to display the current loaded list

i.e. lblCurrentUAIFile.text = System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(openDlg.Filename)

but yeah so far it's not bad, and don't assume people wont resize the app because you either lock it in and not allow resize or make it so that whensome one resizes it, it will adjust accordingly, and btw you doing it in vb.net 2k3?

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
ok, things ill put in next version:
*wont be re-sizeable.
*"New" menu item.
*name of current file opened(if any), probobly in the main forms title.

it was written in C#, vs.net2003.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
There is error with your max (100) mark estimation
and you didn't try to estimate the scaling below 25%
and you don't have every course (though i do agree to even try and estimate those courses is very dodgy)

I haven't thoughrougly tested this yet, but it seems like a fine effort congrats!

Winston

HSC
lol! i don't see the competition of both of you run-time for a UAI Seeker especially for HSC Students who doesn't know much about computers well not most except the computer lovers, lol and jm1234567890i wouldn't say that in 2005, since everyone would have the framework integrated within their systems for sure...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Go hard Mr. Mu, go hard!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
There is error with your max (100) mark estimation
and you didn't try to estimate the scaling below 25%
and you don't have every course (though i do agree to even try and estimate those courses is very dodgy)

I haven't thoughrougly tested this yet, but it seems like a fine effort congrats!

Yeah it's a little buggy in some parts.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
lol! i don't see the competition of both of you run-time for a UAI Seeker especially for HSC Students who doesn't know much about computers well not most except the computer lovers, lol and jm1234567890i wouldn't say that in 2005, since everyone would have the framework integrated within their systems for sure...

damn microsoft monopoly why can't the integrate Java like apple have done!?!?!?

Winston

HSC
was this made in vb.NET?
Read the post a little higher it's made in C# using the .NET Framework.

damn microsoft monopoly why can't the integrate Java like apple have done!?!?!?

mmm well yeah, but i only ever think Java is good for such a diverse range of platforms, but other than that i hate Java, .NET is the way to go and out of honesty if .NET and Longhorn gets successful in 2005, it's going to rock, i'd advise you to read up on it a little even if it's for fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)