A Philosophical Perspective On Existence. (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Just Click It said:
1. Why do you believe you exist?

To ponder the above question over and over and never be satisfied with any answer I may stuble on/think up.

2. What is the purpose to your existence?

Biologically, to have sex. Personally, to give myself to the world.

3. What is your passion?

Animal rights and Cello.

4. What are your life goals?

(unattainable in my lifetime) to get rid of all animal suffering at the hands of humanity. So I suppose... help that motion along while I'm alive.

5. How often do you think about your purpose in life, your existence?

Every fucking day.

6. Do you believe that you are able to change who you fundamentally are?

Yes. E.g. look at the nazi propaganda against the Jews. Good race turned evil by a simple message of hate o_O

7. Do you believe that you are able to persuade people to believe that you are someone else? How and how long?

k.

8. Are there any role models, idols, leaders, teachings or quotations that you live your life by or aspire to live by?

My role models are my omniverous dad and mum. Otherwise, I go by my own intuitition... moulded in a western society =(
It's relevant that they're omnivorous because?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
cogito ergo sum
to end on a high note, literally
3. What is your passion?
music, knowledge and understanding
actualising the above
a few times daily
who am I, fundamentally?
7. Do you believe that you are able to persuade people to believe that you are someone else? How and how long?
Yes. For the length of time i'm out of the country
8. Are there any role models, idols, leaders, teachings or quotations that you live your life by or aspire to live by?
No.

otay

HSC
transcendent said:
I'm pretty sure it's coz my parents fucked

Shit stir

3. What is your passion?
Sport

To get a hat-trick (3 3somes)

Never
Of course. Do I want to. Hell No
I once made a girl believe I was Jamaican (great accent and talked about my people and culture lol) at a night club and kept at it til she left my apartment the next morning (Oh and I'm not black)
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems."

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
carnivores don't get enough fibres in their diet so they often get constipation lol.
herbivores on the other hand acquires too much fibre so they shit more frequently.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Sidenotes:

How appropriate that transcendant ranked an ancient orator poses debate about philosophy.

Oh and waf the reason just click it mentions the omnivorous parents because he is vegetarian....

Biologically speaking I exist because of my parents reproductive drive and I exist to continue the trend, so to speak.

That is however an overly trite explannation that answers a different question eg 'why do I as a meat popsicle exist?' and dodges the real question eg 'why do I as opposed to any other meat popsicle exist?'

And unfortunately for any whose hopes were raised the best I can come up with is a similarly trite explannation to my original one I am differentiated by my genes and the hormonal mix present in my mother through pregnancy. And then I have been subsequentially differentiated through my experiences.

Given the number of variables in all three areas that can vary it is reasonable to say that there being an (almost) infinate number of combinations I am unique. Given the similarity between a large number of the variables however you can equally validly say that there are likely a great number of people who are quite similar to me.

So one can only conclude that barring the existence of a supreme being and a devine plan that there is simply nothing special about my existence in itself. Though on a brighter note my existence is a given however through effort (or lack of) I may be able to improve (or degrade) the level of success (however you choose to measure it) that can be expected on average given my general genes and socio-economic background.

This was at least partly answered in the above.

However a more succinct summary is that barring a supreme being and devine plan my existence has no purpose beyond reproduction and perhaps competition with fellows resulting in betterment on the whole. To add anymore is to be talking of goals not puposes.

3. What is your passion?

Unfortunately I do not have a single driving passion (things would be much easier if I did), I have many passions, or perhaps they are hobbies which is as close as I have to real passions, to name a few: debate, expansion of knowledge, competition, cars, betterment, design/architecture.

My life goals at their simplest are to be happy. This goal is however unattainable, so the best one can shoot for is being pretty happy. The pre-requisites for this would be: a good relationship, children, a level of job satisfaction, good friends, respect for my opinion (professionally, in discussion, etc and financial security that allows enough to buy the middle-class dream (nice house, nice car, decent education for children and modest hobbies).

To extend upon these in some respect I would like to by the time of my death have made the world a better place in some small regard.

Not as much lately (with the exception of this quiz) though more previously (at lower levels of happiness, coincidence?)

No it is not possible for a person to change themselves. However they can be changed by external stimuli and hence could be changed by someone else.

I think it is possible, though some notes on this are:
*It is not perpetually sustainable.
*You are not changing who you actually are only how you represent yourself to others.
*It is not a road to happiness as you can only begin to be happy in societal acceptance of who you actually are.

Yes to the extent that there are various things that fall in the above categories that I find salient to how I live my life, however the question supposes the reverse.

It supposes aspiring to be somebody else, to follow some teaching or quotation. My state is one in which I aspire only to be me (and by extension all I can be), it is perhaps at most affirmation of myself if some parallels can be drawn between myself and some quote/teaching/personage. Which is to say that I am not one to fit myself to some abstract 'other' but am at most someone who will fit some abstract 'other' to myself. It is it not me who will bend, contort and be in part modified or discarded in order to fit.

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
I feel like I should saying smart to preface my answers. But I won't.

transcendent said:
To be honest, I don't actual care.

transcendent said:
I don't know the real purpose. I don't care about that either. I just do what I desire, fuck everything else.

transcendent said:
3. What is your passion?
Humor, language (word play, tone etc)Music(playing with others), Using the body (dance, weights etc.) Flairtending, Writing, story telling, using my brain, Fucking.

transcendent said:
To be happy. Which I am 99% of the time, so I'm getting close.

And be a good dad.
transcendent said:
Maybe a couple times a week.
transcendent said:
Yes, People can do anything they want if they want it bad enough.

transcendent said:
Sure, won't hold up forever. Depends how much you present of yourself outright. I hold lots of my cards to my chest. But then, I've got lots of cards.

transcendent said:
This one is the most impressive, 3 pages and like two people actual have role models. I've got heaps.

Jimi hendrix. -he was my first hero and was one of the reason I got into music.

Quiny jones. -produced the early jackson ablums (thriller, off the wall) album, genius.

Dr dre. -His ability to take a background position and make it the center of attention, business and creativty genius.

Tool.-Innovators in every sense.

Frank Zappa -This man is a simple god, taught me that music can be complex and absurd at the same time.

Chino XL -taught me the poetry of words and the meaning of exposing one's soul (water, sorry)

Arnie -Again determination, this man command so much respet in my eyes, that desire and to make it a realitiy. This forms a central part of me.

Tucker max- He's view again showed me a new way of thinking.

Frank Zane -Searched for perfection in every sense of the word. Zane would do one hour workouts of just forearm striving for the ultimate body.

Bruce lee He was the first to introduce me into the concept of no style.

My best mate -Opened my eye to all sorts of new ideas and concept I hadn't even thought of.

Pat Tillman- The amount of respect I have for this man cannot be put into words. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman Anyone who walks away froma multi million dollar contract to serve his country is in my eyes a true hero.

And the word I live my life by

"To have anything at all you MUST be willing to lose everything" Fight Club.

K

katie_tully

Well, it's a funny story actually. You see, my mother and father had sexual relations roughly 19 years and something like 6 months ago. My fathers sperm impregnated itself in, and fertilised my mothers egg. And so on and so forth, until 8 months later I was popped from the womb.
What is the purpose of a big mac? There is none, except that it tastes nice. I would hope that the same theory applies to me.
3. What is your passion?
I dont have a passion, I am too tired.
Finish uni, well paying job, bring my child up to not be homicidal, insane, a drug user, Catholic, etc.
Once a month, when I was getting period pains. But seeing as how when you're pregnant you dont get your period, I now only ever contemplate why I am alive when I spew my dinner up for the 6th time.
Drugs.
I'm sure with the right money and services at my disposal, I could trick my friends into thinking I was the reincarnate of Princess Diana, yes.
No.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I imagine this is asking the 'reason' or 'purpose' why I believe I exist, not the process by which I came to exist. There is no purpose to my existance more than what I guess genetics has given me (I seem to need to eat/sleep/etc). Beyond that I just like to live my days as they come :)

hmmm see #1.

3. What is your passion?
I like to read all sorts of different stuff and go to all sorts of different places. I think it gives you a greater understanding of life, which is one of the greatest things I think we can do while we live.

I want to learn :p

Occasionally.

I think who we 'are' is something that is changing (over time, fundamentally) all throughout our lives. A year ago I knew different things, had slightly different ideals, a different outlook on life etc than I do now. Myself a year ago would consider myself now a stranger :D

What? Trick people? I guess I could somewhat, make people think I have different ideals than I really do. I don't know how long :)

My dad and james randi are probably my two greatest role-models. I live by some different teachings, we all do, couldn't explain them all in a post tho :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
transcendent said:
Because a random sequence of events occured starting from the big bang leading to it. There is no 'why'.
As above.
3. What is your passion?
Acquisition of knowledge, pursuit of wealth and happiness.
As above.
Not very.
Immaterial because who I am was never set in the first place, and I am merely the sum of my past actions.
Even if my actions are counter to those I've previously taken in similar situations, this does not make me "someone else", for it is still me performing them.
In general the teaching that there is no goal nobler than the pursuit of self interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)