A question about B Com/B science combined (1 Viewer)

jonnyboy

HSC
Guys, I just wanna ask bout the combine degree of b com (actuarial) and b science. Do ne of u guys no if b science is just maths, stats and computing or does it include ACTUAL science i.e phys, chem, bio stuff like that??

Thx for ur help b4hand :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i think its just stats maths and comp.. never heard anyone combining it with any of those sciences (that go to mq.. i know quite a few who do that at unsw)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
In UNSW (not sure about MACQ) you can combine Actuarial Studies with anything in science, provided you are undertaking the BCom/BSci course. I am completing Actuarial Studies and Biochemistry. Rare it may be, but its allowed.

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
jonnyboy said:
Guys, I just wanna ask bout the combine degree of b com (actuarial) and b science. Do ne of u guys no if b science is just maths, stats and computing or does it include ACTUAL science i.e phys, chem, bio stuff like that??

Thx for ur help b4hand :)
why would u want to do it with phys, chem, bio stuff?? :confused:

CrashOveride

HSC
JOhnNiLiCiouS said:
why would u want to do it with phys, chem, bio stuff?? :confused:
Maybe they go to uni to study things that they find fun, not just for career prospects :)

X

xeuyrawp

CrashOveride said:
Maybe they go to uni to study things that they find fun, not just for career prospects :)
I think some people don't just get it. On Christmas day, 8 different relatives and friends asked me 'so what are you going to do with history?'

jonnyboy

HSC
u see, i DONT want to do actual science, i wanna take the computing one ^_^.

So, in conclusion, bsc = ACTUAL science(dont want) or just maths,stats and comp???

THx guys

^___^
HSC
um

wtf???

Science is a very very broad topic, just like Arts..so I have no idea what you mean by "Actual Science"

the link i posted, shows what you can major in a science degree
so if you want the computing one, you can chuck a B Com(Acst)/B Sci(Comp)

Big Edit:

I think CrashOverride is doing B Comm(Acst)/B Sci(Comp) :p

Last edited:

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
yea thats what i'm doing... 3rd year B Acst/ B Comp Sci... both are quite full on degrees and they've done an awesome job at sqeezing both into a 4 year degree... :eek:

honestly... i can't wait til i graduate... i'm sick of uni...

CrashOveride

HSC
jonnyboy said:
u see, i DONT want to do actual science, i wanna take the computing one ^_^.

So, in conclusion, bsc = ACTUAL science(dont want) or just maths,stats and comp???

THx guys
Your definition of "actual science" sounds like you think it's the stuff where you have white lab coats and beakers.

I'm positive that the science component of their degree (for acst people) at MQ is just math,stat or comp. At UNSW I've heard of people delving into what you describe as "actual science".

... said:
Big Edit:

I think CrashOverride is doing B Comm(Acst)/B Sci(Comp) :p
Yep I am still enrolled in that and if they give me some money I will remain enrolled in it =p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
CrashOveride said:
Your definition of "actual science" sounds like you think it's the stuff where you have white lab coats and beakers.

At UNSW I've heard of people delving into what you describe as "actual science".
Yes. I am one of them. There is nothing wrong with doing 'life sciences' with actuarial studies. Sure they may not be much of a link (if any at all), but I enjoy studying biology and chemistry, since I studied them in high school. It's not just about career prospects.

And besides, I could start testing people's DNA secretly and refusing them life insurance;). Questionable ethics, but hey - career prospects right?:rofl:

And biostatistics makes use of both statistics and scientific principles.

Last edited:

jonnyboy

HSC
yea i no science can be kool and all sometimes, but i had enough of it (and the teacher) in high school. But thx for your help guys, really appreciate it >=)

CrashOveride

HSC
JOhnNiLiCiouS said:
are u on a scholarship Crash?... if so, which one?
Not as of yet, I applied for the computing one for first year students (I worked my way around this problem).

Should have applied last year, actuaries and their 99+ UAIs virtually guaranteed to get it heh.

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
Yes. I am one of them. There is nothing wrong with doing 'life sciences' with actuarial studies. Sure they may not be much of a link (if any at all), but I enjoy studying biology and chemistry, since I studied them in high school. It's not just about career prospects.

And besides, I could start testing people's DNA secretly and refusing them life insurance;). Questionable ethics, but hey - career prospects right?:rofl:

And biostatistics makes use of both statistics and scientific principles.
arn't the government putting out more and more regulations against that sorta discrimination??... like... even if their sick... companies still must let them join?? I know thats the case in health insurance... as long as they survive the waiting period... then they can start claiming...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)