A Question.... any help appreciated (1 Viewer)

minalata

HSC
hi everyone

just a question about transfers at mac, my careers advisor told me that mac is great because it has a written down policy about transfers and basically you just have to fulfil it and a transfer into your desired course is pretty much garunteed.

is this true?

i just have to try real hard and get say, credit averages, and i can transfer into anything??????????? Does this mean that mac does not set a certain amount of positions for transfers

i ask this because this is one of the factors that is leading me to mac.

thanks

minalata

HSC
thanks, its a tad confusing but at least now i have a better picture... is what my teacher said right???

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
urrh we best say no.... but its basically correct

each degree has a GPA requirement and amount of credits pre req before u get into it... its fairly easy to transfer... what were u planning on getting into? law has a quota so even though the GPA requirement is 2.0 (pass average) u'll most probably need a distinction avg to get into it.

Say for example if you wanted to get into Bachlors of Business Administration, the GPA requirement is 2.5, thats two credits and two passes... and has a credits requirement of 12, which means u need a GPA of 2.5 over four subjects (assuming they're worth 3 credit points each, which is usually the case with first year subjects)

X

xeuyrawp

clairegirl said:
urrh we best say no.... but its basically correct

each degree has a GPA requirement and amount of credits pre req before u get into it... its fairly easy to transfer... what were u planning on getting into? law has a quota so even though the GPA requirement is 2.0 (pass average) u'll most probably need a distinction avg to get into it.

Say for example if you wanted to get into Bachlors of Business Administration, the GPA requirement is 2.5, thats two credits and two passes... and has a credits requirement of 12, which means u need a GPA of 2.5 over four subjects (assuming they're worth 3 credit points each, which is usually the case with first year subjects)
Clairegirl's right, with the only exception being law, which has a different system of UAI/Uni Marks combination.

minalata

HSC
thanks guys,

yeah, i was interested to find out transfers into law..eeek didnt realise there was a quota. Are the chances of transferring into law fair?

X

xeuyrawp

minalata said:
thanks guys,

yeah, i was interested to find out transfers into law..eeek didnt realise there was a quota. Are the chances of transferring into law fair?
The official statement is that you should have a UAI of at least 90 and a GPA of 3.0 (Credit average) to start to be competitive: Remember that they take half your UAI and half your GPA.

This year, they've upped the amount of law transferees from 20 to 30, so I guess your chance is better than last year.

What's your UAI? How did you go at school -- do you think you can emulate good school subjects' results at uni?

It seems that if you've got an awesome GPA, it can only make up so much ground of a poor UAI.

You really have to 1. chose subjects you will do well in at uni so you get good marks, 2. write a kick-ass application, and 3. hope your UAI isn't too low. :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
ask jamie (cyan phoenix) he got an offer to law after his first year... which he chose to decline because he loves psychology so much (he's the psychology king on bos :p)

he got an offer but that being said, he did have a GPA of freaking 4.0!! lol the highest GPA average you can get lol... however one of my friends mark (not a bos member) got in with a 3.33 GPA or something

so yeah i believe to get into is pretty easy.... u just need a couple of distinctions and u can afford a few credits credits and try to avoid just getting passes or at max get one.

HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
so yeah i believe to get into is pretty easy.... u just need a couple of distinctions and u can afford a few credits credits and try to avoid just getting passes or at max get one.
Yes but you need the distinctions first :S

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
just on the transfer into law thing
not for myself but for a mate
where do you get the info and forms etc to transfer into law?
cause its not the same as your normal degree transfer is it?
someone hook us up with the goods

SDuke

HSC
thanks guys, eek one of the main reason i am choosing mac is because i thought there was no quota for transferring into law, thereby giving me more of a chance.
so then mac really is just like any other uni regarding law transfers...

i got a uai of 92.3, am looking to do commerce and then transferring into law.

about credits and distinctions, how are they awarded at mac? cos i've heard that some unis base them on the canditure, ie top ten% ppl get distinctions no matter what mark, while some unis base it on actual marks???

thanks guys i really really appreciate all the help

oops this is "minalata" but i accidently wrote this while in my brothers account.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
SDuke said:
so then mac really is just like any other uni regarding law transfers...

i got a uai of 92.3, am looking to do commerce and then transferring into law.
Not quite. As far as I'm aware, all other unis consider transfer applications from within the university the same as from other universities. Whereas at MQ (from www.law.mq.edu.au):

...if you study at Macquarie there is a pathway into Combined Law that is only available to Macquarie students. We reserve a number of spots for Macquarie Students who have completed 18 credit points or more of study at Macquarie (this usually occurs after year one): the “Macquarie Privilege”.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
Not quite. As far as I'm aware, all other unis consider transfer applications from within the university the same as from other universities. Whereas at MQ (from www.law.mq.edu.au):

...if you study at Macquarie there is a pathway into Combined Law that is only available to Macquarie students. We reserve a number of spots for Macquarie Students who have completed 18 credit points or more of study at Macquarie (this usually occurs after year one): the “Macquarie Privilege”.
Yeah, that's right.

You *can* apply through UAC, the normal way, and you can apply internally. Most unis just have the UAC transfer route.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)