• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A question on concurrent degrees. (1 Viewer)

maxi_bon

HSC
... said:
is that possible?
cos i thought you are only allowed to undertake your studies in only one tertiary institute at a time (err, does tafe considers as a tertiary institute? cos i am thinking of taking tafe during my uni degree as well)
well from what i've heard (and i havnt personally seen this but heard from ppl who are in a similar situation).. u can undertake studies at no more than two institutions filed under hecs... i know people who have been doing this for a few years and successfully completed their degrees with no questions asked...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Since that sounds basically like a dream come true (to study at Mac *and* Usyd!my 2 most favouritest unis!lol) can you tell me how I apply for this? What arrangements do I have to make for entry?

maxi_bon

HSC
well i wouldnt advise picking up degrees at both unis in your first semester. i started in my second semester of first year and most other people i know started in second year. just enrol full time in one degree through uac (i suggest usyd because mac is more flexible with their part time degrees) and then enrol part time in the second degree at mac again through uac in second semester. u dont use the same uac number and u can acknowledge your previous studies at usyd.

thats what i did and have run into no problems. both unis seem happy with it and its definitely working well for me so far!

X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
That sounds interesting. How in the world did you manage that? Do you do one as a normal HECs or fee place and do the other via correspondence such as OLA or UNE? Or do you do it someother way?
Who's that addressed to?

My story's very weird, and revolves around getting a scholarship for BA/LLB, and me telling them that they can keep their scholarship if I could do the AH degree with law. After some flobbing around, they said I could do law next year due to the weird requirements of my degree (ancient language, special units, etc).

My degrees were enrolled in automatically, and I didn't have anything to do with the process, so I can't elaborate on that I'm affraid. Would you like me to ask a friend who's doing concurrently 2 degrees and see the process?

kami said:
can you tell me how I apply for this? What arrangements do I have to make for entry?
I would say that you shouldn't do first semester of first year. I did it because I know people who are doing the same subjects as me, and the fact that the Law degree's flexible, but it's better to put it off a semester than jump right into it.

That way, you can sus out the timetable mechanisms, how you're going to do it logisitally, study required, etc.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Thank you maxi_bon.:) (and to everyone else who has replied to my thread.)

pwaryuex said:
Who's that addressed to?

My story's very weird, and revolves around getting a scholarship for BA/LLB, and me telling them that they can keep their scholarship if I could do the AH degree with law. After some flobbing around, they said I could do law next year due to the weird requirements of my degree (ancient language, special units, etc).

My degrees were enrolled in automatically, and I didn't have anything to do with the process, so I can't elaborate on that I'm affraid. Would you like me to ask a friend who's doing concurrently 2 degrees and see the process?
It was initially addressed to maxi_bon. However I would like it very much if you could expand on any of this information.:)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
It was initially addressed to maxi_bon. However I would like it very much if you could expand on any of this information.:)
Haha, ok, well I'll ask my friends what they did. One of them's doing BA/BCom or BBA or something, another's doing BA / DipAncLang, so I'll see what they say for themselves.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Ok, I have another series of questions to ask on this:
It is stated that you can only do two patterns of study but that these individual patterns can be single or double degrees in of themselves for the concurrency, however do Diplomas and Certificates count as patterns or just Bachelors? For example if I do the Bachelor of kink studies concurrent with the Bachelor of sexy times but at sometime time in this period of concurrent enrollment I became interested in a Tafe or Mac Diploma or Certificate would it stuff up my enrollment? Or are non bachelor qualifications not considered as patterns of study for this thing? And if no one knows the answer to this, who should I ask about this at the Open Day?
Thank you for your time:)

X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
Ok, I have another series of questions to ask on this:
It is stated that you can only do two patterns of study but that these individual patterns can be single or double degrees in of themselves for the concurrency, however do Diplomas and Certificates count as patterns or just Bachelors? For example if I do the Bachelor of kink studies concurrent with the Bachelor of sexy times but at sometime time in this period of concurrent enrollment I became interested in a Tafe or Mac Diploma or Certificate would it stuff up my enrollment? Or are non bachelor qualifications not considered as patterns of study for this thing? And if no one knows the answer to this, who should I ask about this at the Open Day?
Thank you for your time:)
Are your B Kink stu and B Sexy times being done at mac? If you're doing them at, say, Usyd, macquarie will let you do the Dip or Cert for sure.

If you're doing the Bs at mac, you'll have to find out in relation to the specifics of the B degrees and the Dip/Certs. Generally, they're pretty good with letting you ad on Dips and such.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Coolies:) *endows faux rep*

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
could you start doing the other degree in your 3rd year??? because i want my arts-psych back!!!

X

xeuyrawp

fornstar said:
could you start doing the other degree in your 3rd year??? because i want my arts-psych back!!!
You could start it in any year, so long as you pass the requirements. I dunno if you apply through UAC or via the uni...

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
You could start it in any year, so long as you pass the requirements. I dunno if you apply through UAC or via the uni...
thanks man

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Okay Question:

I'm in 2nd year of my MedScience degree and I want to add BBA onto it by doing it concurrently at Macquarie.

I calculated the number of CP I need to satisfy the degree to be:
72 + 68 = 140

However, on the information sheets they gave me, it says that they will grant a maximum amount of general credit for previous study of 18 credit points at 100 level (18) and 200 level (10).

So does that mean I'm only required to do 140-28= 112 credit points of study?

This also confuses me:
Under 6.1 it reads; Appropriate units in your first degree with a credit point value of up to 18 credit points at 100 levl and up to 10 at 200 level, may count twice: ie. they may count towards your first degree and count towards your second degree also.

Would this mean, as long as I complete all 300 level subjects AND gain the required amount of CP that I satisfy everything.

Then theres: What if I have done units such as ISYS that is a CORE subject, does that carry over from MedSc to BBA?

Second case: If someone wanted to transfer from Marine Science to BMedSc/Business and applied through UAC, according to their site you are only offered one degree at a given time, so how would that person know whether he can do the concurrent degree (because you must be accepted to the single degree before you can do the concurrent degree; however you want to change your degree and add another at the same time).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
a) So long as you satisfy the degree requirements for both, 112 is enough. You may not be able to do so for whatever reason.

b) If 300-level units are the only requirement, then yes (but I think you may have some other requirements about the type of units and level, sciences/efs and 200/300 level breakdown).

c) Units should carry over.

d) Person would know when they've been accepted after an internal application?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
c) Units should carry over.

d) Person would know when they've been accepted after an internal application?
a) What about how the CP are also counted towards the second degree?

d) Internal application as in iyou apply through the uni to transfer into concurrent degree consisting of 2 whole new degrees and they would know if you've been accepted for either one?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Once you 'start' you're concurrent degree, I think you have to chose which degree your 300 level units go to. The 28 cp (if it's possibly), count as they normally would.

You just add one on top of what you're currently doing. So it's not 2 new degrees.

I probably missed the question.

Safest thing is ask the Macquarie admin ;).

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
Safest thing is ask the Macquarie admin ;).
And they gave me a bunk of application forms and junk info that I have to scrape through which in the end makes everything more confusing.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
But in that case, there is no 'wrong' information. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)