A question on form... (1 Viewer)

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
I plan to do my EE2 major work in verse, but since it is free verse (so no strict rhyming meter) it looks and flows more like a story. (similar to Herrick, Porter and Pushkin)

I was wondering whether a story in verse constitutes as a Short Story medium, or Poetry medium?

Since there is a significant word count difference and I am in the process of drafting, I'd really appreciate any opinions or replies. :)

Hope everyone's enjoying their holidays!!

E

Empyrean444

zeppelinqueen12 said:
I plan to do my EE2 major work in verse, but since it is free verse (so no strict rhyming meter) it looks and flows more like a story. (similar to Herrick, Porter and Pushkin)

I was wondering whether a story in verse constitutes as a Short Story medium, or Poetry medium?

Since there is a significant word count difference and I am in the process of drafting, I'd really appreciate any opinions or replies. :)

Hope everyone's enjoying their holidays!!
Free verse? Boo!

On to more serious matters: it depends how obvious it is that your work is written in poetry/verse. If its poetic nature is very obvious, than I think you would have to submit it as a poem. If you wrote your story in prose-poetry, however, where its poetic elements would be less marked, I think you could get away with submitting it as a short story.

I face a similar predicament myself, as I am writing a small epic (which is very narrative focused) in blank verse and have already exceed the 3500 word count for the work itself (bearing in mind the RS=1500). I plan on contacting the BOS sometime about this matter, to see if there is any possibility of a "hybrid" work, so to speak (ie a bigger word limit); and, if you want an authoritative answer, I'd suggest you do the same.

good luck

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
The hybrid medium. Way of the future IMO.
Oh, and out of curiosity. Are you going for something like The Simple Gift by Herrick?

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Pain said:
Are you going for something like The Simple Gift by Herrick?

I have read "The Simple Gift", and although I didn't like the story or the simplicity of the language, it gave me many ideas about structure. Like a series of interconnecting poems.

I hadnt thought to contact BOS. Thanks for that :)

Freckles14

HSC
Apparently the markers hate free verse. Hate hate hate. I'm not sure why, but it's there in the Notes from the Marking Centre over several years.

Probably best to avoid it... unless you're hyper-awesome at it already.

E

Empyrean444

Apparently the markers hate free verse. Hate hate hate. I'm not sure why, but it's there in the Notes from the Marking Centre over several years.

Probably best to avoid it... unless you're hyper-awesome at it already.
I support the markers on this issue.

Looking at the young writer's showcase stuff, though, it seems quite the contrary - I think most (if not all) of the poems I've seen in their have been in free verse. Another thing the markers seem to like (for some unfathomable reason) is shape poetry.

snowconesyum

HSC
better to submit it as a short story, i reckon, and just have poetic prose (it will be seen as individual style ;) ), cos otherwise they can be pretty harsh about how well you actually use the form of POETRY and its associated conventions. not to say that you can't do free verse, but it could be viewed as sloppy, whereas if it was soooort of a short story, it doesn't have to conform to such a high standard. maybe?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
This may be a bit off topic, but I have a question for you guys. Is English Extension 2 easier than Advanced English?

snowconesyum

HSC
I think they're very different disciplines, so it's hard to compare. One's mainly analytical, and the other is more creative (although you can always do a critical :p) - you're using different strengths in each.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I think they're very different disciplines, so it's hard to compare. One's mainly analytical, and the other is more creative (although you can always do a critical :p) - you're using different strengths in each.
I was just asking because there are about five kids in my school who got a Band 6 in English Extension 1 and 2 but only one who got a Band 6 in Advanced English.

Ironically, the kid who got a Band 6 in Advanced English didn't do Extension English.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Its not that ex is easier or harder, its just different, your not bound by stupid rules and textbooks, it all comes from your brain.

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
thank you for your advice.

I'm a very temperamental writer, so I've actually gone with short story after all. More words to play around with :]

Also, to any year 11's thinking of taking up this course :

do it.

It's brilliant. It is unlike any other subject, totally YOU directed, no-one to say no, just let the creative times roll. Can't wait!!

diametric

HSC
Uh. I don't think that's very good advice. This subject is similarly very stressful. I have only very recently crystallised my plot, and written some 1500 words towards the first draft. Though, I've done tons of journalling, etc, AND STRESSING!

Back on topic, I have a question on form. My major work is a fairly short simple story. A variety of different scenes and time lapses, that is, I start with the present, then move back and surpass the beginning by the time I finish. I also change from third to first person some 1500 words into the story.

One ugh I have. Is that practically ALL the short stories in the Showcase ARE POSTMODERN, with their numbers and disjointedness and lack of traditional structure and layout. And that terribly disheartens me <_<

DOWN WITH POMO.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Uh. I don't think that's very good advice. This subject is similarly very stressful. I have only very recently crystallised my plot, and written some 1500 words towards the first draft. Though, I've done tons of journalling, etc, AND STRESSING!

Back on topic, I have a question on form. My major work is a fairly short simple story. A variety of different scenes and time lapses, that is, I start with the present, then move back and surpass the beginning by the time I finish. I also change from third to first person some 1500 words into the story.

One ugh I have. Is that practically ALL the short stories in the Showcase ARE POSTMODERN, with their numbers and disjointedness and lack of traditional structure and layout. And that terribly disheartens me <_<

DOWN WITH POMO.
Although you have a display picture of Grey's Anatomy and that disturbs me so. I will Quote you for truth. Down with the POMO!!! Bastards.

ixswans

HSC
Death to the postmodern pestilence
Agreed.

Trying to make sense of postmodernism in History is stressful enough without scrolling through the showcase and finding more pomo to make sense of.

The weird psychiatric evaluations may be attractive.. when something is abstract with no right or wrong you have a bigger playing field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)