A quick "Scaling" question (1 Viewer)

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
hello people...i'm just gettin very worried about scaling and all that...

some people are telling me about how "subjects that scales down"

does this mean even if u get 100% for everything in that subject ure UAI will be scaled down??????

cos there are a number of subjects that are "scaled down" e.g. Visual Arts, General Maths,etc

just wondering....because I'm doing Visual Arts and love it but just thinking maybe not worth it if even if I do perfect i still get "scaled down"

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
If the top 5% or so in the subject get band 6's in most of their other subjects then it shouldn't be an issue, but if this isn't the case, then it will most likely be a problem. The thing with scaling is that it grades you based on the students you outperform, and if you're outperforming a bunch of people with a lower ability (as crude as that may sound), you're not really proving anything to the UAC and will most likely receive a lower scaled mark than if you had of outperformed a brighter group. That only really applies if you're right up the top though. If you tell me what UAI you're aiming for and how well you're performing at this subject internally I can give you a less vague answer.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
even if you do get 'scaled down' its not that really big a difference! if you do well enough, it shouldnt affect you hugely, if at all

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
shellybelly087 said:
even if you do get 'scaled down' its not that really big a difference! if you do well enough, it shouldnt affect you hugely, if at all
If you're getting 100% in general maths it's going to screw you over majorly compared to what you probably would have gotten had you done 2u or higher.

HSC
yeh but ask yourself, do you have the ability to get 100% in 2u, what if your max potential was like 80s in 2u but you could get 100% in general maths no worries

thats what you have to weigh up when choosing maths

A l

HSC
N/A
cbadvanced said:
hello people...i'm just gettin very worried about scaling and all that...

some people are telling me about how "subjects that scales down"

does this mean even if u get 100% for everything in that subject ure UAI will be scaled down??????

cos there are a number of subjects that are "scaled down" e.g. Visual Arts, General Maths,etc

just wondering....because I'm doing Visual Arts and love it but just thinking maybe not worth it if even if I do perfect i still get "scaled down"

What you are describing is not really a "scaling" down. It is called capping. Particular subjects are capped, meaning that no one could get a maximum scaled mark of 100. Capping, does not happen in raw marks and aligned marks (the marks you recieve from the Board). Capping was introduced in the new HSC to encourage people to pick subjects that they are most suited to and not to have it all easy and get the ultimate 100% in all courses. Capping only affects those who are really at the top (i.e. about top 1-2%). Scaled marks are not reduced very significantly, so it shouldn't be too much of a worry.
However, it can change every year. Some subjects are capped in one year, and not capped in another year. This depends on the statistics of a course relative to the statistics in English Area of Study exam.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
Calculon said:
If you tell me what UAI you're aiming for and how well you're performing at this subject internally I can give you a less vague answer.
hi, the subject im worried about atm is Visual Arts...
at the moment I'm doing not bad im ranked 7th out of 100 exact

also i got 8th in Theory but 2nd in Practical (if that helps)

subjects i'm doing are:
3 unit maths (i reckon i can hold on if i try even harder)
advanced english (doing alright)
biology (will do good if i look at this subject more compared to the rest)
chemistry (i need to change teacher at the end of the year....)
economics (doing great i understand everything just need to work on it more...)
arts (great)

my overall UAI i just aim high for 100 :)

the thing is that i really like visual arts...no ideas whatsoever of dropping it...but im just worried about this whole scaling or "capping" thing

Last edited:

Ebdena_me

From what i know, your HSC isnt taken down, except for the capping. So if u get 100 in visual arts, you will still get 100. If, for example you are going to uni, then you will have 100 for vis art, but since its not a core type subject sometimes the university will consider it less if its not related to what you choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)