a room of ones own/whos afraid of virginia woolf... NEED HELP! (1 Viewer)

mon.s

HSC
How are the concepts, content and values explored in your texts affected by their genre and historical context? (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and A Room of One's Own)

Ok so i get the historical context part... i.e. American vs English, 1960's vs 1920's respectively)

genre... ARoOO = non fiction text
WAoVW = drama, play
but dont get how they affect the concepts, content and values..

and then what are some concepts, CONTENT (????!!!!) and values (got truth, education, patriachy)

thanks for any help recieved!!

MJLavicka

HSC
ok i reckon the linking concepts in the play are about illusion Woolf inventing a satirical (perhaps?) Oxbridge and characters as well as embracing the female way of writing. She can't bring herself to value her place in society cos although she has money and is highly intelligent she cannot (will not?) live up to what society expects of her....
Albee creates this couple (george and martha) who have themselves so much wound up within their own illusions they can hardly tell the difference between what is real and what isn't. good quote "truth and illusion george you don't know the difference"
Nick is bloodthirsty and ambitious so he is blinded by that and honey and the hysterical pregnancy and keeping her secret abortions from nick. remember this is an abusurdist play its not supposed to make perfect sense and be fully understood :burn:

What i never get is the title why is it called "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" i know he got it from a bathroom wall but huh?

Tastegud

HSC
The main link between the two texts... well there are like 3 that I know exist but forgot 1 of them.
- Gender Inequality
- Interuptions

You base the issues that the two writers talk about in their texts with one major focus. As in: You talk about "The Subjectivity of Truth" under "Gender Inequality" where the truth had been evasive due to male superiority and how they cover the truth to keep their power.

And also the title "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?" can be translated to "Who's afraid of life with no illusions?"
It's significant but... not that much to include in your essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)