A Short Guide to LaTeX (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I'm just curious how would I be able to type in a document of some sort? I'm keen on possibly writing my own notes and I think its alot more of a 'reader-friendly' too to use.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Obtain LaTeX: https://latex-project.org/ftp.html . Depending on whether you have a Mac, Windows or Linux, go to the appropriate link for that on that page.
I'm having problems downloading this file. I've downloaded the file and opened up the set up file which is in .pkg format. I didn't see the file or link where we could open the application. Am I doing something possibly wrong? Are there other alternatives out there?

seanieg89

HSC
I'm having problems downloading this file. I've downloaded the file and opened up the set up file which is in .pkg format. I didn't see the file or link where we could open the application. Am I doing something possibly wrong? Are there other alternatives out there?
Which exact link did you download? For Windows it should really just be an executable.

This executable will download the backend (all the stuff that interprets LaTeX and produces output), and often a frontend (the thing you use to write your documents, often with some tools to make it more convenient than editing the source file via other means.)

Also if you really want something more wordlike, you can try LyX.

(I don't like it though, as it makes some weird choices about formatting by default and some things are a bit clunky to change from memory. Once you get decent at using regular LaTeX it is blazingly fast, especially for more ambitious projects with lots of cross-referencing etc.)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Which exact link did you download? For Windows it should really just be an executable.

This executable will download the backend (all the stuff that interprets LaTeX and produces output), and often a frontend (the thing you use to write your documents, often with some tools to make it more convenient than editing the source file via other means.)

Also if you really want something more wordlike, you can try LyX.

(I don't like it though, as it makes some weird choices about formatting by default and some things are a bit clunky to change from memory. Once you get decent at using regular LaTeX it is blazingly fast, especially for more ambitious projects with lots of cross-referencing etc.)
I have a Macbook Pro. Once I opened the .pkg file , a screen came up showing that my installation was successful. I'm just not sure where to click to open the file.

seanieg89

HSC
Open what file? mactex is just a backend.

Download an editor like texmaker and work in that.

seanieg89

HSC
Is this what Texmaker looks like? if not, can I use this software as well?

Lol no, unsurprisingly the app in your screenshot is called TeXShop.

But yes, yes you can. There are tons of possible editors. You could even use something notepad-esque if you really wanted to. (Not that that would be a good idea).

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Sure, they all do pretty much exactly the same thing.

The power of LaTeX is in the code itself, frontends don't really matter.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Sure, they all do pretty much exactly the same thing.

The power of LaTeX is in the code itself, frontends don't really matter.
It seems to me that the LaTeX coding on the Bored of Studies forums is slightly different to the one one the Texstudio when entering fractions :

Closer inspection:

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It seems to me that the LaTeX coding on the Bored of Studies forums is slightly different to the one one the Texstudio when entering fractions :

Closer inspection:
Try putting the maths stuff between dollar signs, i.e. write $\frac{2}{5}$.

seanieg89

HSC
The boredofstudies LaTeX formatting is different from traditional LaTeX, don't use the formatting on this site as guidelines.

Instead, just look up LaTeX tutorials, there are many.

leehuan

HSC
So I have two questions.

1. When I was watching the Latex guide by the UNSW Mathsoc guy, he used the following packages:

Code:
\usepackage{amsmath} % Improves structure of typed out maths
\usepackage{mathtools} % Improves upon deficiencies of amsmath package
\usepackage{amssymb} % Adds some handy symbols to use.
\usepackage{amsthm} % Adds some neat formulas to use, e.g. \begin{proof} etc.

% Below are other packages I suggest you add
\usepackage{geometry} % Default page margins can be altered.
\usepackage{microtype} % Improves spacing between letters.
\usepackage{booktabs} % Improves tables. Can now create without vertical separators.
\usepackage{array} % Includes more options for arrays
\usepackage{paralist} % More flexible use of itemize, enumerate, etc.
\usepackage{graphicx} % Add images to your document
\usepackage{color} % Allows for the use of colours!
\usepackage{cleveref} % Better cross-referencing
\usepackage{hyperref} % For adding hyperlinks
\usepackage{fancyhdr} % Customise headers & footers in document
I know there's a massive amount of packages, but does anyone have suggestions on which ones I'll need to write a comprehensive set maths notes? Sort of a mini textbook

2. Is there any way to generate very neat graphs?

Like, I could just copy and paste loads of images off WolframAlpha, GeoGebra, (Mac OS) Grapher and so on, but that's going to appear untidy. Plus sometimes they will still have x and y coordinates present and I don't want that.

Thanks

leehuan

HSC
I downloaded texmaker today. It's pretty cool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)