a small, portable typewriter (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Hi all,

Next semester my 2nd year of software engineering starts, and I have a feeling that every time I spend on the train / bus should be used on writing reports. Now, I dont have too much money to spend, so all I would really ever need is just a typewriter (i mean portable computer) that you can at least type in, use some text editor, etc..

I dont' need it to play games and such, or run intensive tasks (like compiling). I can do those at uni computers instead :D

Right now, Im thinking that all I need is just a PDA with a keyboard extension (i saw those before), and they probably would cost less than 500$. Or I could just get an old cheap laptop, but then i wouldnt be so sure about their battery life..

What do you guys think? Should I go with the PDA or get an actual laptop? Batterly life and size is what matters most here I guess..

thx in advance

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
pda will be smaller and lighter, will probably last you longer. but smaller may equate to eye strain. . ive never used one :p

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
You can get an IR keyboard (Infrared) to go with them too. Plus you can chat to us on PocketIRC. I'm not sure if they'd be ergonomic for typing on trains and the such (this is where a laptop comes in), but they'd be a lot more portable.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You can get those keyboards that roll up!!

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
could PT run on a PDA?
because if it does, im buying one for chug chug

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Haha, I doubt it, L0in, but it's a nice sentiment. The PT site recommends 1gb of hard drive space firstly, as well as a Pentium 3, and 128mb of ram. Plus I doubt PDAs support Dx8 :(

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i would highly recomend a Dell Axim x30 with thumb board attachment
shame that dell australia never sold it here, only in US and also the x30 is a discontinued model :(

but this combination is prefect for what you are looking for

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
when you get a PDA make sure it has a transreflective screen or you wont see anything when the sun shines in the window.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
yea true, i need those that are good for typing on the trains and such..

btw i heard putting laptop on the lap is not good for the p*nis? it causes burns or impotence or something? Maybe that's one of the reason i'll be getting a PDA instead..

btw i think ill take that translucive screen tip.. but with all these features, how much do you think they would end up costing?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
underthesun said:
yea true, i need those that are good for typing on the trains and such..

btw i heard putting laptop on the lap is not good for the p*nis? it causes burns or impotence or something? Maybe that's one of the reason i'll be getting a PDA instead..

btw i think ill take that translucive screen tip.. but with all these features, how much do you think they would end up costing?
yes that is true, there has been alot of research into the topic.

even low power laptops generate alot of heat when placed on your lap, so it is a good idea to put a book or something in between.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Indeed; A laptop can get too hot. Not good for your anatomy. Depends a lot on the laptop/use time, but a PDA sounds like what you should be targetting.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
yes that is true, there has been alot of research into the topic.

even low power laptops generate alot of heat when placed on your lap, so it is a good idea to put a book or something in between.
It that the legs are together that generates the most heat. The legs being together raises the temperature by around 2.1oC while the laptop adds another 0.8oC. Of course this is only temporary unless you do it for ages, so travelling on the train wouldn't be that bad. Especially since university isnt a year round thing.

And on the plus side it means your less likely to knock someone up :p while at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)