A text relating to 'change'. (1 Viewer)

M

Mayuki

Hello, fellow students.
Like many others in my year, we have to find a text that relates to the year eleven area of study, "change". :mad1:

Any suggestions? So far, I've had "V For Vendetta" and "The Portrait of Dorian Gray".

I would truly appreciate it.

Regards,
Mayuki

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Don't use "V For Vendetta". I would advise against it, as it isn't sophisticated and I would recommend using a classic novel.

I suppose you could use "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" (excellent piece of writing, I might add).

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
isnt v for vendetta a film? with that freaky dude with the white mask?

BrendanP

HSC
Im using/ have used Scar Tissue, the book, by Anthony Kiedis
These Days by Powderfinger, which is really good, because if you watch the scene it is in from the movie Two Hands, it can be talked about more, with more techniques, both writing and film.
Someone suggested to me to use Trainspotting, or Chopper.
I am yet to see Trainspotting, but Chopper could work, but would be a bit tricky

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
I used "A Very Lucky Daughter" by Sharon Liao from 2002's (I think) Reader's Digest. "A Bad Case of Stripes", "Lord of the Flies" and pretty much most Disney movies can relate to change depending on what your set text is.

passion89

HSC
basketcase89 said:
Don't use "V For Vendetta". I would advise against it, as it isn't sophisticated and I would recommend using a classic novel.

It doesn't matter if the text is unsohpisticated or not. The extent to which you analyse any of your texts is depedant on you and a crappy text, analysed with detail will get you more marks than a classic text, not analysed very well.

It's upto you to make something of it and answer the essay/other text type question in a sophisticated manner. I did Legally Blonde last year for Change and I got 15/15 (and lets face it - that was not an ideal text). Similarly, using a classic novel and not understanding/analysing it properly can be your downfall as well.

Just remember that whatever you pick, you need to be able to string a cohesive argument on change for that text. An idea text would be one with heaps of techniques (the biggie) and themes.

passion89

HSC
BrendanP said:
Im using/ have used Scar Tissue, the book, by Anthony Kiedis
These Days by Powderfinger, which is really good, because if you watch the scene it is in from the movie Two Hands, it can be talked about more, with more techniques, both writing and film.
Someone suggested to me to use Trainspotting, or Chopper.
I am yet to see Trainspotting, but Chopper could work, but would be a bit tricky
You have absolutely awesome texts!!! Trainspotting is great (the book more so)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Pleasantville - Film - Written and directed by Gary Ross
"All the world is a stage" - Poem - Jaques speech, Shakespeare
The Door - Poem - Written by Miroslav Holub

Our Area of Study

tennille

HSC
The fillm, Remember the Titans is good at representing change in society.

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
For films, try The Last Samurai or Midnight Cowboy. Vastly different in content, but still related in the theme of change.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
passion89 said:
It doesn't matter if the text is unsohpisticated or not. The extent to which you analyse any of your texts is depedant on you and a crappy text, analysed with detail will get you more marks than a classic text, not analysed very well.

It's upto you to make something of it and answer the essay/other text type question in a sophisticated manner. I did Legally Blonde last year for Change and I got 15/15 (and lets face it - that was not an ideal text). Similarly, using a classic novel and not understanding/analysing it properly can be your downfall as well.

Just remember that whatever you pick, you need to be able to string a cohesive argument on change for that text. An idea text would be one with heaps of techniques (the biggie) and themes.
Good for you then :).
But I am just quoting my English teacher, because it's what she told me and I did agree with it to start with. I suppose using a recent film could work though.

tennille

HSC
I have to agree with passion89. Why is a classic novel better than a recent film? You are marked on how you analyse the text (what techniques there are to convey change) rather than how sophisticated the text is. A recent film would work as long as it demonstrates the concept of change and you are able to convey that. :)

ElK

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hey - we've been doing personal identity and the changes in that!
there are some reli interesting and weird books that we've studied:

the catcher in the rye

tirra lirra by the river

its easier to analyse or talk about something you understand or like.
what are you into?

theres a whole range of texts - poetry, films, novels, song lyrics, paintings that you could use.

in our extension class we studied a few paintings - but again - it depoends wot sort of approach u want or need to take for this task or woteva
elk

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I did

* http://www.goodplasticsurgery.com/
* A short film from the 2005 tropfest cd (Too Far)
* "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life"-A short chapter in the Jesus Freaks Book
* An article called 'Sign Language' that talks about the change in relationships around pregnancy time. (Good Weekend magazine, 12th March)
* A Panasonic Digital camera add.

If any of you need my notes ask and i might b bothered to find and attach them. And I just might have those texts around the place...

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
jeheron said:
If your looking for something deep and meaningful try Joshep Conrads Heart of Darkness. Its incredibly dence and painfull to read - the protagonist, Marlow, undergoes a Buddha style transformation of ideas, its all about the fundamental nature of man. Its one of our ext english texts.

Jack
jeheron@gmail.com
Yeah I studied that text in extension english as well.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Waiting for Alibrandi

Portrait of hte Artist as a young man

Things Fall Apart

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
do you mean Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta?
Yes that deals with change mainly culture,doesn't it? It used to be an HSC text for change but is not ,to the best of my knowledge, on the year 12 list any more. I know of three schools that have already studied it as a text for change.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)