A Thought Provoker (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
What a load.

The HSC is usually only about getting into uni and this is where kids start calculus. Most the kids that actually learn any form of maths don't even learn calculus anyway. What's the point in teaching something that isn't going to be tested, when it's only purpose is to get marks? i.e: Topology and what not. Sure: "It's fun!" but there's no real point to it.

Most of the things that person highlighted for teaching methods should already be standard practice. My Maths teacher does it already and has been for the last 16-18 years.

And what the hell is this crap about "a ninth grader won't have motivation if they get told you're learning this so you can use it in 2 years"? If they don't have the motivation to learn skills that actually lead onto another subject that will help them get somewhere in life, then how will they do with their histories, english and any other topic that doesn't? And with the part where she says "Too bad you don't know calculus!" why the hell didn't she teach them that then? It would've helped with their work. She was preaching something similar earlier that should be done but then doesn't do it.

Good tips for Maths teachers that aren't too good at their jobs, but other than that I found it pretty terrible.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
You need to teach kids the basics so they can understand the concepts that will follow. Some people want to do courses in uni that will use maths as a basis.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
The only thought it provoked was that time i spent reading that could've been spent not procrasinating.

bachviete

HSC
N/A
It's like if you want to be a good pianist,
you have to do a lot of scales and a lot of practice,
and a lot of that is kind of boring, it's work.
But you need to do that before you can really be very expressive and really play beautiful music.
You have to go through that phase of practice and drill.

- Terence Tao

nonsenseTM

HSC
it made me dizzy!!!

regardless whether or not it's linear, DO NOT EXPLOIT TECHNOLOGY , you fxxxing humans

and I agree with thongetsu :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)