A very quick question (1 Viewer)

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Many exams say something along the lines of :
To what extent has studying x expanded/illuminated etc your understanding of y

eg To what extent has studying the concept of inner journeys expanded your understanding of yourself, of individuals, and of the world? HSC 2005

My question is - when responding to this should I talk about myself? I can only do this using first person, something that is generally said to be avoided in essays. If not, then wouldn't the examiner think that I was missing part of the essay? Or would it be better to refer to humanity rather than myself? I'm slightly confused!

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
Well, I've always been told to not use first person, and never write about yourself. have you tried using 'the audience' or 'the responder'? or 'When one is faced with the concept or inner journies......'

I say experiment, and see what sounds smarter :p I see the english HSC as a guessing game (well, the sencond paper is) just make sure you know your text well, adn you should be fine :)

lissamaher

HSC
The examiners response to the exam questions after marking were that the higher ranked students used the terms "i" as they were asked to reflect from their point of view, and we used last years journey question as an assessment task this year, and were encouraged to use the term' i'. Hope that helps.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Thats exactly what I thought. Then I found this, just this morning:

"The question invited candidates to use the personal ‘I’ and many used this approach very effectively." (from the 05 markers comments).

Still though, its really up to the individual marker who's marking your paper, and since I've heard so many marking teachers say "NEVER EVER use I!", I would no longer value the marker's comments, seeing as theres an 80% chance only one person will read your paper.

bessie

HSC
I had the same dlemma when i was writing my King Lear piece the other day. The Rubric asks you to compare your interpretation of the play with others. Encouraging you to use "I".

I was confused whether or not i was allowed to so i rang the hsc advice line and was told that either way it doesnt really matter what you do, its not a big deal, there not gona mark you down for it if the question asks for your own understanding, especially if its not an essay.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
If you don't use 'I' will markers think that you haven't addressed the question?
I also called up the advice line (most awkward 5 minutes of my life!!!!) and asked, and they said it didn't really matter

drewgcn said:
Still though, its really up to the individual marker who's marking your paper, and since I've heard so many marking teachers say "NEVER EVER use I!", I would no longer value the marker's comments, seeing as theres an 80% chance only one person will read your paper.
What??????? Where did you pull that from?

Dr_Doom

HSC
sandersen said:
If you don't use 'I' will markers think that you haven't addressed the question?
I also called up the advice line (most awkward 5 minutes of my life!!!!) and asked, and they said it didn't really matter

What??????? Where did you pull that from?
I've called it up several times and found it heaps helpful.. Was only awkward when I was talking to this lady whose phone was broken or something and she spoke really quietly and I couldn't hear her. I was like "Ohhh kay... Thanks for your help... GOtta go!"

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
drewgcn said:
I would no longer value the marker's comments, seeing as theres an 80% chance only one person will read your paper.
I still want to know where you got that from!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)