• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

AAAAGGH - Turn off Your Torrent Client on Campus! (1 Viewer)

geekchick

HSC
AAAGGGGHHH I can't believe it, have just been busted for copyright ($480 fine!!!!!) cos I forgot to turn off my Torrent auto-start when I came on campus. Cranked up wireless to check email and whammy - download from home started right up again and I got stung!

Thought they'd let me off when I told them it was accident, but nah :evilfire:

Sooooo......if you can afford a huge fine, don't worry about it. Otherwise, disable the Torrent when on the uni network.

SFinspired

HSC
^
el oh el

no but seriously..
that is soo bad...
i thought UNSW blocks ports?

Like I know the one at UTS blocks them so even if you do autostart, it wont do anything.

astroe

HSC
Wait, what, you get fined for torrenting?
I thought the internet was a world of anonymity, you can do whatever and not get busted. :p

HSC
AAAGGGGHHH I can't believe it, have just been busted for copyright ($480 fine!!!!!) cos I forgot to turn off my Torrent auto-start when I came on campus. Cranked up wireless to check email and whammy - download from home started right up again and I got stung!

Thought they'd let me off when I told them it was accident, but nah :evilfire:

Sooooo......if you can afford a huge fine, don't worry about it. Otherwise, disable the Torrent when on the uni network.
lol we sent emails out to students, warnings on my.unsw etc. telling them if torrent is on we would nail u

the uni has been threatened to be sued by the industry i think thats y they are hammering down... but whoever dealt with your case must of been a cunt to not let you off, then again that kinda stuff is comms unit and not IT central

littlesev

HSC
Aw, that shucks :(

But the fine only applies for torrents right? I understand that the uni is under pressure, though I personally don't see any harm in downloading stuffs (tv series, broadway bootlegs which are impossible to get otherwise), but that's just me.

HSC
didn't you read my post? the university is getting the RIAA etc. breathing down their neck, they need to show that they do not condone it and are fining people or else will be shown that they're apart of it all.. and if you get caught be lucky its unsw issueing you a $450 fine and not the record company

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
a friend of mine got banned for a month or so because he downloaded around 30gigs worth of stuff via torrent, last year.

no fine

littlesev

HSC
didn't you read my post? the university is getting the RIAA etc. breathing down their neck, they need to show that they do not condone it and are fining people or else will be shown that they're apart of it all.. and if you get caught be lucky its unsw issueing you a $450 fine and not the record company
I did say it's understandable since unsw is under pressure. I wouldn't exactly call myself lucky in any situation where I have to part with my $450. What I meant was that imo a lot of companies are overreacting to this issue. We've all read about the mom who was fined over $2 million for songs distribution, which she would never be able to pay anyway, so talk about not having better things to do ;)

Back to the topic, I have no such problem since I've got my own connection at home, I don't even use Torrent, but I believe those who lives at the uni might face fine as well? My sympathies.

HSC
I did say it's understandable since unsw is under pressure. I wouldn't exactly call myself lucky in any situation where I have to part with my $450. What I meant was that imo a lot of companies are overreacting to this issue. We've all read about the mom who was fined over $2 million for songs distribution, which she would never be able to pay anyway, so talk about not having better things to do ;)

Back to the topic, I have no such problem since I've got my own connection at home, I don't even use Torrent, but I believe those who lives at the uni might face fine as well? My sympathies.
oh ithink its pretty slack that although the OP left torrent on she got fined, if i was dealing with it i'd let her go i know how sometimes those torrent progs load on startup

but in saying that she'd be lucky because if RIAA came chasing after her they wont be charging "$450 fine"

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
bahahah OP is obviously IT Cronies @ Uni trying to scare people not to torrent.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hahahahah if someone told me they had arbitrarily 'fined' me money I would tell them to suck my fucking dick and go fuck themselves.

What are they going to do to you? Absolutely nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)