Aargh uni choices!

Mazey

Heyo everyone! :p

Well my stupid prob is a toss up between UNSW and USYD! (sci/arts degree) A friends said UNSW was heaps good for science but SYD was heaps good for arts stuff.... so she recommended I "check out whether the defiency in USYD science is greater or less than the deficiency in UNSW arts."

Well anyway any thoughts would be appreciated!
-May

Mazey

Umm well for sci either biology or psychology and for arts either sociology/antrapology or media or something like that!

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Go to UNSW. I don't know if its the best place for your course but they had a really memorable and impressive Open day.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Isn't the UNSW Sci/Arts only 4 years?

I'd prefer Sydney, but then again, that's where I am at the moment. The only opinion that I can give you is that UNSW science degrees tend to be much more structured than those of Sydney (or so says the occasional lecturer).

jnothman

dismember
HSC
UNSW physics is quite good, but still miss people like Dr Karl... =P Nonetheless I don't have a clue about Biology & Psych...

I know that generally the sydney uni arts stuff is really good, and most of the science stuff I've been doing has been too.

In general, USyd's got the atmosphere if you've got nothing better to choose on =P

I think usually Sydney Uni & UNSW have comparable science, but when UNSW leads towards the tech side of things it does it a bit better...

And Generator, why haven't I seen you around? (other than chances of me recognising you from 2 years ago being nil)

Sorry to all on the random order of this post! =P

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
'fraid I don't know, or I would have pointed it out. :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
I think that I saw you walking over the Wentworth bridge one day earlier in the year, Joel, but that has been about it.
Besides, I'm taking the 'social science' science angle with geography, and i still have no idea with the arts degree, so the likelihood of me running into you is very low.

Mazey: Biology at USyd is ok, I guess. For the first year, Concepts in Biology is largely a repeat of the HSC course, while Living Systems was much more interesting. I didn't take Human Biology, and I didn't continue with Biology into second year (moving towards a Biology major requires first year chemistry, which I didn't realise until the end of last year), so I can't really offer anything more than this, I'm afraid.

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
USYD Psych is really good.
is it a lot of work? coz I wanna do psych

also is stats hard?

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
DON'T GO TO A UNI based on reputation, UNSW and USYD reputation is basically the same anyway

Go to the Uni, you think you will feel comfortable with thats most IMPORTANT!!

jnothman

dismember
HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
Go to the Uni, you think you will feel comfortable with thats most IMPORTANT!!
Well if one doesn't know about comfortability, then reputation is important. Reputation is important anyway. If you know a particular course you want to do is crap at one uni, don't go there.
If the course reputations are good at both or all, then don't go looking for little differences, I agree. Still, reputation IS important.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Well, I have to agree, Arts at UNSW is a bit on the dodge side. But I think you should take all things into consideration when choosing a course - reputation, comfortability, and your general interest. Probably should look at what subjects there are and see what you're more interested in studying. I mean, the university could be great and have the best reputation; but if you're finding you have no interest in what you're studying, that's a problem.

Mazey

Wow heapsa people replied yay!! :p I went to the Unsw open day thingo actually it looked nice and all!

Dammnit so did Syd tho! :p
Ah well!! I'll work it out!
-May

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Haha, if you don't work it out, you can always transfer. :D

(I really shouldn't be saying that to kiddies, should I? Nevermind)

Mazey

Yeh thats true.... ergh :S though who wants to uproot themselves and everything! aargh!

pri

HSC
N/A
if unsw werent soooo inconvenient to get to Id go there and save a year

btw UNSW arts degree is a bit on the dodge side, you cant do an accredited major in psych through UNSW arts, but you can through usyd arts...I find this bizaare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)