• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Abbott and his comments (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Abbott forced to apologise for jokes on Brogden

HEALTH Minister Tony Abbott was forced to apologise yesterday for making jokes about John Brogden just hours after the former NSW Opposition leader attempted suicide.

The day after Mr Brogden was found unconscious in his electorate office with self-inflicted wounds, Mr Abbott publicly joked at two separate Liberal Party functions about the disgraced leader's career-wrecking behaviour.

Outraged mental health advocates, including former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett, branded the remarks appalling and insensitive. The Federal Opposition called for his resignation.

Mr Abbott was asked at a fund-raising lunch about a particular health reform proposal and reportedly answered: "If we did that, we would be as dead as the former Liberal leader's political prospects."

He later spoke to the Kenthurst branch of the Liberal party, opening his speech by saying "I just want to make it clear I have never told an inappropriate joke, I've never pinched a woman on the backside and I never make inappropriate gestures to women."
Liberals take aim at Abbott over Brogden remarks
Abbott offers personal apology to Brogden

Beazley is currently in fine form as he seeks to move a censure motion against Abbott (Gillard just seconded the motion, and Abbott is currently responding. He appears to be apologising profusely, but he is not going to resign).

What are your thoughts on the matter? In light of Brogden's remarks and the standard to which he was held, is an apology from the Federal Minister for Health and Aging enough? Should one standard be applied to all, or should 'factional' loyalties muddy the waters whenever its convenient (as, according to Beazley, is what is happening right now)?

Edit: Keep in mind the nature of Abbott's comments and that he made them in an official capacity as the Minister for Health and Aging.

Here's my blow by blow account of today's question time for those with an interest, too.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I like it when Abbot unleashes the inner Latham, but I dont think apologies from politicians mean an awful lot.
He was great on Insiders "Well, look, ive always been..err..happy to apologise for things said...and err..I'd be very happy to ..Im sorry for what was said, *perspiration* Look, er, im not the most sensitive guy" etc
This dynamic is fun. On the other coin, side thereof, it's also grand when Premiers savage the Fed opposition.

adambra

HSC
Heard him speak in parliament this afternoon. Dickhead should resign.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Now that's an idea... Thanks, Iron. Here's the Insiders interview transcript (see the final part of the exchange between Barry Cassidy and Tony Abbott).

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well this shows how much of a jerk he is but there is no reason he should resign. Abbott made it clear though that he doesn't give a damn -- he is just apologising to make people feel better, not because he is actually sorry (of course the only reason people would feel better is if he was sorry, so it defeats the whole purpose...)
BARRIE CASSIDY: In retrospect do you think that's something you should now apologise for?

TONY ABBOTT: Barrie, if it would make people feel better if I apologised, I'm always happy to apologise. I don't believe in standing on my dignity.

BARRIE CASSIDY: But you do accept they were inappropriate?

TONY ABBOTT: Barrie, lots of people say lots of things.
:rolleyes:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, yes, as expected, the censure motion wasn't passed, and Peter McGauran pointed out Labor's hypocrisy (i.e., Latham's many remarks) as he sought to defend Abbott after Gillard followed Beazley with another serve. As far as I'm concerned that's currently a non-issue, though, because Abbott was joking about a very sensitive issue that is meant to be his responsibility rather than just taking a broad swipe at his opponents. Still, he's a senior Minister (and a conservative liberal), and Howard appears to have left the issue of integrity within the federal cabinet in his Coalition's wake, so expect this to die down given that mental health issues are still being brought to the public's attention.

Generator

HSC
N/A
yesgentlemen said:
Personally, I thought it was pretty funny, as was Brogden's original comments, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
Believe me, I'm all for dark humour, but there is a time and a place, and if one politician must fall as a result of an inappropriate comment made when at the bar after hours, then surely so must another when the comments were made in an official capacity at a party function.

I'm not ignoring Brogden's actions that fateful night (even though one was an inappropriate act between friends and that the pass was effectively rebuffed at the time), but they weren't what buried his leadership.

Edit: I should point out that I'm not an Abbott fan and that I liked the fact that Brogden was a moderate.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
yesgentlemen said:
Personally, I thought it was pretty funny, as was Brogden's original comments, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
You found Brogden's original comments funny? Are you stupid or just insane?

heybraham

HSC
im asian and i support labor, but i do find the mail order bride joke funny

liberal party pollies make pretty good calls lol

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
yesgentlemen said:
About Bob Carr's wife? Yes, I did find it funny. I think a lot of people are too uptight about things.
Calling his wife a mail-order bride is not only completely and utterly moronic but it is insulting to every asian woman in this country.

I suppose I can see why country bumpkins might find it amusing though. I'm sure many have little idea or familiarity with the real, multicultural world of the city. And Broggers himself comes from a particularly 'white' area (my area in fact).

I suppose it's just ignorance fostered by their environment really, which I can forgive. Some people can't help it.

jennylim

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Calling his wife a mail-order bride is not only completely and utterly moronic but it is insulting to every asian woman in this country.
it was certainly moronic (coming from the leader of a political party and all that) but as an asian woman i found it a bit amusing. the same way i find jokes about asian women drivers funny (as an asian woman driver)...or even just plain sexist jokes.

the fact that he said that in a place with journalists and not in the privacy of his own home/party room is probably more of a problem. there is a time and place, but that was certainly not it.

and abbott's a dickhead...the call was mediocre (for entertainment value), but he clearly doesn't realise what he said actually had rather hurtful implications. the most annoying thing is that he was almost certainly one of the fed libs gloating about the demise of broggers...it wasn't a joke made in good humour, that's for sure.

j_hakka_v2

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:

I suppose I can see why country bumpkins might find it amusing though. I'm sure many have little idea or familiarity with the real, multicultural world of the city. And Broggers himself comes from a particularly 'white' area (my area in fact).

I suppose it's just ignorance fostered by their environment really, which I can forgive. Some people can't help it.
Brodgen's comments simply highlight the failures of multiculturalism.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just Beazely trying to score a political point. Failed miserably though. Of course Abbott shouldnt resign.

j_hakka_v2

HSC
Deus said:
Just Beazely trying to score a political point. Failed miserably though. Of course Abbott shouldnt resign.
I'm sure you'll agree that if it were up to Labor, the whole government would be on retirement pensions for simple spillages from their mouths.

Raginsheep

HSC
No...they'd learn to keep their mouths shut so these things don't happen again.

j_hakka_v2

HSC
Raginsheep said:
No...they'd learn to keep their mouths shut so these things don't happen again.
Oh shutup. Really, it's the wit that makes politics enjoyable to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)