• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Abbott thinks reading the Bible should be compulsory in schools (1 Viewer)

wendybird

HSC
Why be a dick though, when the option is there to argue reasonably, and to exchange those arguments in a way that is polite and doesn't resort to ad hominems or generalisations/assumptions that would undermine your credibility?

My reference to the liberal party was Howard's ill-fated attempts to circumscribe "Australian-ness".

You'll all notice that I'm prepared to hear out arguments and opinions of all perspectives, so long as its substantiated and logical. And I thought that was the point of discussion anyway - intelligent discussion.

Last edited:

0bs3n3

HSC
Why not just read the Australian Constitution then? That way there's no religious bias and we'd all really understand Australia's history and it's laws!
I did laugh lol.

But I think the idea behind reading the Bible is to gauge an understanding of what shaped those laws, etc.

wendybird

HSC
I was referring to the liberal ideology (which is not necessarily you) not the centre-right party.
Just a minor point though, Liberalism doesn't have much to do with atheism OR deism. Liberalism is generally speaking a belief in rights - the inalienable rights inherent to human beings. It really doesn't have much to do with religion (perhaps apart from the "right" to practice one's preferred religion)

And in fact - liberalism is a broad umbrella, under that you can have anarcho-capitalism, libertarianism etc. Its not a homogenous group.

0bs3n3

HSC
And in fact - liberalism is a broad umbrella, under that you can have anarcho-capitalism, libertarianism etc. Its not a homogenous group.
Which works for me I guess as I was saying those of an opposing political view to me are no less of an Australian than me.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I did laugh lol.

But I think the idea behind reading the Bible is to gauge an understanding of what shaped those laws, etc.
What relevance does that have to modern society? If it's to instill morals/ethics in children, i still maintain that reading the actual constitution would be a better idea as it avoids religious bias and ensures children learn their rights.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
What relevance does that have to modern society? If it's to instill morals/ethics in children, i still maintain that reading the actual constitution would be a better idea as it avoids religious bias and ensures children learn their rights.

Whooooo you go girl!

Having the bible read in class would certainly involve alot (and I do mean alot) of bias! A christian (or catholic) person would obviously be influenced by their religious background, just as an athiest who is skeptical of religion will be influenced. Teaching something that is objective (such as the constitution) would serve to remove such bias.

jellybelly59

HSC
I did laugh lol.

LOL they should teach that abbott is trying to revive the matrimonial causes act 1959 because it's till death do us part in the bible but that's besides the point. I'm pretty sure you could inform students and educate them on the history of the law and the context behind it without studying the bible as a critical text - we did that in legal studies without reading a single section of the bible.

gahhh! have you people read through sections of the constitution?!?!? no child should be subjected to the ultra boring content in it. Oh and there are only like 3 rights that are ensured in the constitution .... the rest is covered in administrative, criminal law and common law lol (based on very foggy legal studies).

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
When did Christianity go out of relevance, 'Sir'? At it's most basic, by sheer weight of numbers obviously.

lol anyway this is very off topic.

Um, you didn't answer my question. Hence, I shall ask again:

I was wondering, please, if its not too much trouble, please, might I ask you how the bible is still relevant in our modern society? Please.

I mean, (as someone mentioned ^), the Family law act 1975 allowed divorce, homosexuality decriminalised, etc... Can we truly say that the bible is still relevant?

0bs3n3

HSC

I was wondering, please, if its not too much trouble, please, might I ask you how the bible is still relevant in our modern society? Please.

I mean, (as someone mentioned ^), the Family law act 1975 allowed divorce, homosexuality decriminalised, etc... Can we truly say that the bible is still relevant?
Huh? So what are those 2 billion Christians following then?

Essjaybee

HSC
I think he made it very clear that he asked the same question twice, which remains unanswered.

Essjaybee

HSC
Christianity/the Bible? If I dare to say, quite a lot.
Do provide us with some examples sir.
When did Christianity go out of relevance, 'Sir'? At it's most basic, by sheer weight of numbers obviously.

lol anyway this is very off topic.

Huh? So what are those 2 billion Christians following then?

Firstly, the original context of all of this was the releance on society in terms of morals and ethics as well as avoiding bias whilst teaching them. Your only response to it's relevance to modern society is that Christians read the Bible. Many people also read t-shirt slogans, so I suppose we should also have mandatory classes where people sit and read t-shirts. Now, to relate that back to the question (very important skill in english), how exactly does Christians (a portion of people) following the bible (by choice) relate to Bible classes being compulsory in school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)