Abolish the states? (1 Viewer)

Should we abolish the states in Australia

• Total voters

ohne

HSC
There has been much debate recently over whether we should abolish the states. Ironically this has been coming from the Liberal Party - which has been traditionally regarded in Australia as the protector of the states rights. The ALP has never really been a defender of federalism although with the present situation where all state and territories are held by Labor, this could change. John Howard has been quoted as far back as the early 90s, however saying it might be good to do away with the states.

I have traditionally supported the Federal structure in Australia although I have changed my mind recently. It is true that Federalism generally encourages innovation and lower taxes as states compete with one another, although I feel in a globalised world, we are now getting these benefits through the Federal government competing with other countries. There is now far more policy influence from overseas meaning experimentation between states is becoming more and more irrelevant.

To be honest I am getting tired of the blame shifting and buck-passing between the federal government and the states. This can be solved by clearer lines of responsibility although this appears unlikely to happen as both levels of government want more power.

In 1901 the States reflected genuine focuses of economic and social activity in this country; they have long since ceased to do so. In this era of micro economic reform, with interstate economic activity ever increasing, what we are getting from the States is eight different legal and regulatory systems in areas such as criminal law, environmental law, consumer law, trade and occupational qualifications, food standards, workers compensation — and so the list goes on. Business is confronted with a multiplicity of conflicting regulatory demands and overlapping planning regimes which generate inordinate delays, conflicting demands and fragmentation of the planning process.

It is not necessary to be a genius to work out that the Murray River was adopted as a boundary in the days when no one had heard of pollution and it was thought that natural resources were unlimited. This is an area of policy that really annoys me at present as the states have walked away from the national water agreement due to a petty dispute over funds. Under a system where we had no states this would not be a problem.

So what do people think? Should we abolish the states and only have two levels of government in this country?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Asquithian said:
...One of the principles is that if you don’t like one state or you believe the laws of one jurisdiction are not for you or that you feel those laws infringe on your rights then you should be able to move to another jurisdiction.
Were it not for this concept, I wouldn't mind state removal. But I have seen enough evidence to make me believe that this idea of choice of state is important.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Asquithian said:
...One of the principles is that if you don’t like one state or you believe the laws of one jurisdiction are not for you or that you feel those laws infringe on your rights then you should be able to move to another jurisdiction.

Centralised national government would not protect that.
if it were to happen though (which it won't), whose states legislations, laws etc. would we inherit?

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
Federalism is there for a reason and you can’t simply 'abolish' the states. Federalism is there to protect your rights. Federalism is one of the best things we have for checks and balances (no matter how much the Liberal government likes the idea of absolute power)...considering that responsible government and ministerial responsibility don't really exist anymore. It sad to see that the current Liberal government has gnawed away at Federalism.
My point was that this argument is becoming more and more irrelevant due to globalisation. You can quite easily go to another country nowdays if you feel this. You don't need to have states for this reason.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
what do you mean abolish the states?
what will happen to all the state's exclusive powers? (like police) shift them all to the feds? or have independant offices in each territory to deal with crime?

im not going to vote, as i dont know much about what your on about. but i think its gonna be hard to anyway
each state has its own set of laws; they may all be similar but how do you reconcile any minor difference that resulted from different histories and historical values?

(im posing more questions than answers! :) )

ohne

HSC
mr EaZy said:
what do you mean abolish the states?
what will happen to all the state's exclusive powers? (like police) shift them all to the feds? or have independant offices in each territory to deal with crime?

im not going to vote, as i dont know much about what your on about. but i think its gonna be hard to anyway
each state has its own set of laws; they may all be similar but how do you reconcile any minor difference that resulted from different histories and historical values?

(im posing more questions than answers! :) )
Things like police, school and hospital administation would likely be transferred to local councils like in England.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
ok
but i think crime, often goes beyond council boundaries dont you?
i dunno, i live in bankstown council
hmmmmmmmmm.............. i think that would be great!
but that would mean that every council would have to supply its own cops for its own territory wont it? thats too much! i dont think redfern's city council can afford to raise that many cops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)