• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Abolishing Honours Degrees from 2013 (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Nice.

Cathy: Sorry I haven't been able to reply, I've been busy with coursework.

The crux of the matter is this. The NTEU are scumbags. You personally are a minority amongst them in that you a) have the best interest of everybody (not just yourself or your agenda) at heart, and b) properly engage with both staff and students. The rest of the NTEU is not like you and, ultimately, that's why it does a poor job and continually loses.

Regarding honours: This is the best thing for the uni. Australian students (particularly Macquarie students) don't realise it, but degrees there are unnecessarily complicated and incompatible with the rest of the world. What the university is seeking out would be good as it would bring it in line with -- essentially -- the best universities in the world.

Yes the change from what MQ has to what it wants may be tricky, but change always is. I was having an argument on a facebook wall about this, and the only complaints against the change(s) were 'wah wah my honours degree is going to be cut! :'(' -- ie personal, anecdotal complaints. No-one could look past themselves and see that this is about changes to make the university a better place.

This reminds me exactly of the introduction of the JD law program at Melbourne. People thought it was silly and that the 'Melbourne model' would never catch on. But then you know what? Melbourne JD graduates were going on exchange to amazing places, getting internships in amazing places, and then ultimately getting jobs in amazing places because their degrees were recognised.

And then BAM, suddenly the top law schools in Australia are adopting the JD model.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The only thing i'm still scratching my head about is how this would affect those requiring honours for professional accreditation (i.e psych) who are not enrolled in an honours degree but in a B A/Sci...?

Atlas

HSC
N/A
The only thing i'm still scratching my head about is how this would affect those requiring honours for professional accreditation (i.e psych) who are not enrolled in an honours degree but in a B A/Sci...?
I'm sure they will either leave the honours degrees required for accreditation/industry standards or come to some arrangement about those honours programs.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Well that's what i would think, however this

"Under this proposal, Macquarie would no longer offer the current one-year add-on Honours program, although it would continue to offer those four-year
Bachelor degrees designed to meet professional accreditation requirements such as the B Psych (Hons), B Eng and LLB (Law)."

Gives the impression that only honours degrees are being considered here, as opposed to BA/Sci with honours added at the end. I dunno, will have to wait and see.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Well that's what i would think, however this

"Under this proposal, Macquarie would no longer offer the current one-year add-on Honours program, although it would continue to offer those four-year
Bachelor degrees designed to meet professional accreditation requirements such as the B Psych (Hons), B Eng and LLB (Law)."

Gives the impression that only honours degrees are being considered here, as opposed to BA/Sci with honours added at the end. I dunno, will have to wait and see.
Interesting, well - with psychology, there are the graduate diplomas available which also give you the necessary accreditation pathway. If you do the B A/Sci - what honours degree would you do for psych accreditation? Would it be the same as the Psych (Hons)?

X

xeuyrawp

As they say, anything that requires professional accreditation will stay in place.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
"Domestic students undertaking the new research training Masters degree will receive a scholarship throughout their study, the result of a significant extra investment by the University into research activity."

So i assume then that it will not be covered by HECs-HELP, but what does this mean? Everyone gets a scholarship? o_O

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)