Aboriginal Australian Olympian defies rules & wears Aboriginal flag (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Hes sees himself as an Aboriginal Australian, no harm done imo.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Didn't Cathy Freeman run around with the Aboriginal Flag when she won in 2000?

And no one made a fuss at all?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps you sould read the article before commenting, I'm sure it mentions her in there, it actually caused a big fuss

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
He should have worn the uniform just because, well it's the uniform. They paid a lot of money for them to be designed he is a part of a team.

He could have got an aboriginal flag temporary tattoo and shown his allegiance there. Wearing anything but the uniform assigned is inappropriate in my opinion.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
He should have worn the uniform just because, well it's the uniform. They paid a lot of money for them to be designed he is a part of a team.

He could have got an aboriginal flag temporary tattoo and shown his allegiance there. Wearing anything but the uniform assigned is inappropriate in my opinion.
Agreed

I don't see why wearing that was necessary and therefore I see little justification for breaking the rules

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, pray tell what meaning does the Olympics have for you?
First let me preface this by saying that I am not a sports fan by any means but the Olympics is so much more than sport. Where else do you get people ( and not politicians or bussinessmen or whatever, actual, real, down to earth people) from every single country on the world uniting together for a common goal and purpose, living together, forming friendships, in an event that preaches peace (this is why you will always see doves at the opening ceremony) and acceptance. There is something magical about the closing ceremony where thousands of athletes march in together as one and celebrate together. Not to mention the fact that it has some of the most historic and memorable moments of all time. Moment like North and South Korea marching in under a united flag, east Timor competing for the first time as its own country, Taiwan being able to send its own Olympic team, a black an white south African doing a victory lap at Barcelona, smith Carlos and Norman in solidarity, Jesse owens at Berlin, muhammad ali lighting the torch at athens,Redmond finishing the marathon with his father, or millions of Australians cheering on an aboriginal woman - an so many more. At its core it celebrates the ability of humans to persevere through adversity - it is so much more than a sporting event.

Lentern

HSC
First let me preface this by saying that I am not a sports fan by any means but the Olympics is so much more than sport. Where else do you get people ( and not politicians or bussinessmen or whatever, actual, real, down to earth people) from every single country on the world uniting together for a common goal and purpose, living together, forming friendships, in an event that preaches peace (this is why you will always see doves at the opening ceremony) and acceptance. There is something magical about the closing ceremony where thousands of athletes march in together as one and celebrate together. Not to mention the fact that it has some of the most historic and memorable moments of all time. Moment like North and South Korea marching in under a united flag, east Timor competing for the first time as its own country, Taiwan being able to send its own Olympic team, a black an white south African doing a victory lap at Barcelona, smith Carlos and Norman in solidarity, Jesse owens at Berlin, muhammad ali lighting the torch at athens,Redmond finishing the marathon with his father, or millions of Australians cheering on an aboriginal woman - an so many more. At its core it celebrates the ability of humans to persevere through adversity - it is so much more than a sporting event.
You don't think that for every heartwarming case of overcoming racism and prejudice that there are ten examples where it won the day?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't think that for every heartwarming case of overcoming racism and prejudice that there are ten examples where it won the day?
Name one that anybody actually remembers and isn't now used as an example of how foolish that racism was at the time.

Lentern

HSC
Name one that anybody actually remembers and isn't now used as an example of how foolish that racism was at the time.
They are seen as foolish because society moved beyond racism and dragged sport along with it, not the other way round.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
They are seen as foolish because society moved beyond racism and dragged sport along with it, not the other way round.
I'm sorry I didn't see an example in there? I'll even broaden the scope, give one example from this millennium

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Did Roosevelt not refuse to meet Owens?
That satisfies none of the criteria I set and isn't really evidence of your 10 to 1 claim. Far and away the Olympics stands for good not evil and is more than just sport.

Lentern

HSC
That satisfies none of the criteria I set and isn't really evidence of your 10 to 1 claim. Far and away the Olympics stands for good not evil and is more than just sport.
Anderson, imagined communities all that. None of it has real meaning, it's all concocted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)