Aboriginal family suing Reserve Bank using relative image on $50 note + Paypal? (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

The family of the Aboriginal inventor and writer pictured on the $50 note have called on PayPal to pull down its "degrading" and "disrespectful" ads that deface their grand-uncle's image.

PayPal, the online payments service owned by eBay, is running a widespread ad campaign on the sides of buses featuring images of the $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes.

PayPal super-imposed police and military helmets on each of the individuals pictured on the notes to imply enhanced safety and fraud protection for its users.

Well-known Aboriginal activist Allan Campbell and his brother John, great-nephews of David Unaipon, who is pictured on the $50 note, were shocked to learn their uncle's image had been used in that way.

"It is very disrespectful because for a start no Aboriginal people have a helmet - we're not bikies and we're not Vikings," said Allan, 61, from Murray Bridge in South Australia.

John, 50, said PayPal should have contacted his family first to ask for permission and, in any case, he would not have agreed to let them use the image in such a "disrespectful" way.

"I think that's very degrading," he said.

PayPal spokeswoman Kelly Stevens said the ads were "perfectly legal".

Separately, the brothers are already embroiled in a battle with the Reserve Bank over the use of Unaipon's image on the currency, alleging permission to use the image was given by a woman posing as a relative.

Allan and the Reserve Bank met for over four hours last Thursday to discuss Allan's claim for compensation.

According to Allan, the Reserve Bank accepted that he was Unaipon's great-nephew but did not agree that the woman was not a relative, rejecting the compensation claim.

The Reserve Bank has confirmed that the talks took place but would not provide further details about the meeting.

The brothers are now planning to take the Reserve Bank to court in January.

Allan has been a lifelong campaigner for Aboriginal rights and played a significant role in the 1972 tent embassy built on the lawns of parliament house.

Unaipon, who died in 1967, was awarded 10 patents for inventions including a sheep shearing machine and a multi-radial wheel but did not have enough money to get them developed. He was also a prominent spokesman for the Aboriginal people and the first Aboriginal writer to be published.

According to the Reserve Bank's biography of Unaipon: "He gained a reputation at the time of being 'Australia's Leonardo' for his promotion of scientific ideas. As early as 1914, Unaipon anticipated the helicopter, applying the principle of the boomerang."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/tec...g-in-on-legends/2008/12/02/1227980000056.html

First they want to sue the reserve bank for using one of their relatives image on our $50 notes, now they're likely to sue PayPal.

Yay, when you're lazy to work or find a job, sue people who have money. :pirate:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Paypal deserves it. Good for nothing, piece of shit company

rasengan90

HSC
"It is very disrespectful because for a start no Aboriginal people have a helmet - we're not bikies and we're not Vikings," said Allan, 61, from Murray Bridge in South Australia.
Such racism. Aboriginals can't even ride bikes anymore? I say helmets for all.

boris

Banned
HSC
lol thats a hilarious comment "no aboriginals have a helmet"

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
what the fuck

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I thought it would be more disrespectful that he was wearing a suit and tie in the picture. Everyone knows, no Aboriginal wears a suit - they're not white people or something.

boris

Banned
HSC
fucking scum abos trying to cash in on their relationship with one of the few good abos any way they can

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Lol but how can he say 'no aborignals wear a helmet'? Some might own a motorbike?
Pscht.

They are so full of shit. But hey, if I was an Aboriginal and it was that easy to get shit from the government, I'd probably abuse it too.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
If they aren't bikies how come they use so much petrol then?

boris

Banned
HSC
Cos im pretty sure one of the blokes at work has one of the abo chicks from work in his office fucking the shit out of her right now lol

snore

Kinky Kelly & Sexy Stud
HSC
So all Aboriginals are against head safety gear when they ride bikes?

I thought it was law to wear one, or do they have special laws from them?

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
I reckon these kids who are suing should get helmets...
somebody's gonna beat the shit out of them real soon.
could help.
What? you guys were thinking it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)