Aboriginal rights (1 Viewer)

algatech

HSC
guys please help me iam desperate i need notes on the paternalism, how was it applied to indigenous community if anyone has notes about history assignment aboriginal rights please help!!!!!!:bomb:

*wbg*

HSC
Hey mate,
I did this in year nine but I've found a little bit that refers to paternalism. Paternalism describes the attitude of a strict stern father looking after children. Authorities felt that they were superior to Aboriginals and patronised them as they concidered them to be on the same level as children - unable to think and make decisions for themselves. This was shown through the Protection Policies. (notes which i have copied and pasted so not sure how relevant they are) Good Luck!

What were Protection Policies?
  • Australian colonial and state governments adopted Protection Policies between he late 1880s and 1909 based on the general belief that aboriginals were a dying race and any measures that would reduce unnecessary suffering should be taken (many aboriginals were sent to reserves where they lived in poverty)
  • Protection was supposed to improve the way of life but instead it gave them no citizenship rights and made them dependent on the administrators of he reserves
  • Chief Protector was the legal owner of all aboriginals, their property and any wages they earned.
  • Aboriginal children were sent to special aboriginals schools where teachers prepared boys to become farm or station laborers and girls to be domestic servants
  • Some missions run by churches protected aboriginals from mistreatment by the whites
  • The use of traditional names and customs was not allowed and often families were broken up as children were taken from the parents
  • 1880s the earliest time that aboriginal children were taken from their families under the protection policies
  • 1909 the Protection Board in NSW was given the power to removed aboriginal children.

Monstar

HSC
hahahhaha

oi this is all you have to do in the test:

"Aboriginals deserve their land back and need to be apologised because of the shit stuff thats happend to em"

End of Story. Thats all i learnt.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
*wbg* said:
Hey mate,
I did this in year nine but I've found a little bit that refers to paternalism. Paternalism describes the attitude of a strict stern father looking after children. Authorities felt that they were superior to Aboriginals and patronised them as they concidered them to be on the same level as children - unable to think and make decisions for themselves. This was shown through the Protection Policies. (notes which i have copied and pasted so not sure how relevant they are) Good Luck!

What were Protection Policies?
  • Australian colonial and state governments adopted Protection Policies between he late 1880s and 1909 based on the general belief that aboriginals were a dying race and any measures that would reduce unnecessary suffering should be taken (many aboriginals were sent to reserves where they lived in poverty)
  • Protection was supposed to improve the way of life but instead it gave them no citizenship rights and made them dependent on the administrators of he reserves
  • Chief Protector was the legal owner of all aboriginals, their property and any wages they earned.
  • Aboriginal children were sent to special aboriginals schools where teachers prepared boys to become farm or station laborers and girls to be domestic servants
  • Some missions run by churches protected aboriginals from mistreatment by the whites
  • The use of traditional names and customs was not allowed and often families were broken up as children were taken from the parents
  • 1880s the earliest time that aboriginal children were taken from their families under the protection policies
  • 1909 the Protection Board in NSW was given the power to removed aboriginal children.
the white men set up camps for aborigines to reside in too ...

Peteage

HSC
Yea this is part of the notes that ive done on aboriginal policies; I haven't made notes on self determination yet in the file.

Maby its just me but im getting heaps sick of aboriginal topics, this year I did it in history, geography and religion.

Peteage

HSC
ayy nice essay, but one question, whats segrigation? I dont recall studying it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)