• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Aborigines 'don't know rape is illegal' (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
MORE than 90 per cent of people in Arnhem Land do not understand basic legal concepts, with many Aborigines under the impression that white society is "lawless", a report has found.

This has resulted in wrongful imprisonment and "massive confusion", with some communities still unaware that rape is considered illegal, says Richard Trudgen, CEO of the Aboriginal Resource and Development Services (ARDS).

In a report titled An Absence of Mutual Respect, researchers spoke to Yolngu people from a cross-section of the community, including interpreters, locals and community leaders.

They were quizzed on the 30 most commonly used English legal words such as bail, commit, arrest, charge and guilty.

The ARDS report found 95 per cent of Yolngu people were unable to correctly identify their meaning.

Only 17 per cent of responses from language professionals were correct while 90 per cent of community leaders, such as ATSIC members, school teachers and council representatives, had no understanding of the terms at all.

Ninety-seven per cent of Yolngu people born after 1967 fell into the lowest category of understanding.

"This research found that many Aboriginal people from Arnhem Land had little comprehension of what was happening in the legal system," Mr Trudgen said.

"This still leads to many outcomes that are unjust and can also be a factor in some people getting into further trouble.

"Many elders also believe it is one of the main reasons for increased crime on Aboriginal communities."

Mr Trudgen said the results explained the stark over-representation of Aborigines in territory prisons – currently over 80 per cent – and why increasing numbers of young males were falling foul of the law after moving to large urban centres.

"People thought that pleading guilty actually got them through the court quickly and they didn't go to jail," he said.

"There is massive confusion out there about white fella law point blank."

In conclusion, the report found many Aborigines were disempowered when it came to dealing with the legal system, and it recommended communication programs to bridge the gap.

It said Aboriginal people often thought they were functioning within a lawless society because "they don't understand it so they see it as lawless".

This can lead to "quite devastating consequences", said Mr Trudgen, who referred to the case of an elder who had asked him if rape was illegal.

"When I said yes, he told me `none of our young people know that'.

"This is 2008. When are we going to have an emergency response into communication in these communities?"

Researchers also interviewed some people in prison.

"When they realised what the term guilty meant they were able to identify some of the things that they were convicted of that they never had anything to do with," Mr Trudgen said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23773627-29277,00.html

LOLz

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Are they the aboriginals that wear no clothes and live in the jungle?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Yet another reason why the British should of just wiped them all out when they got here.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
This isn't just a thing the rural natives suffer from. Within suburbia and housing commission they grafiti, vandalise and assault people.

I know, there are two in housing commission nearby. We all suffer.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
JaredR said:
This isn't just a thing the rural natives suffer from. Within suburbia and housing commission they grafiti, vandalise and assault people.

I know, there are two in housing commission nearby. We all suffer.
There is a difference... those ones know it is illegal... they just do it anyway.

Trajan

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yet another reason why the British should of just wiped them all out when they got here.

Yeah man, we get it.

You're a big hater of Earthquake and Cyclone victims as well.

Yeah , great way to take a swipe at the downtrodden and minority groups that are struggling.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Trajan said:
Yeah man, we get it.

You're a big hater of Earthquake and Cyclone victims as well.

Yeah , great way to take a swipe at the downtrodden and struggling.
Who's fault is it that their society didn't even progress as far as building houses... surely not mine.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Exphate said:
For a Jew (persecuted for all eternity) you really are a racist piece of shit.
I don't appreciate public and private property being grafiti'd. In the instances in which it occured the perpertrators were Aboriginal.

I felt their racial background had some bearing on the case as they use their race as an excuse to commit these acts.

I appreciate how rather than comment on other comments which you may deem racist you isolated your comments to me. Who's the racist?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
It's not a dump* for nuclear waste. That was an isolated incident:

thought to be from operations of the Radium Hill company in the early 1900s which extracted radium for luminous watch dials at Hunters Hill.
It will be moved to a tip in Western Sydney, and a multi-million dollar house built in its place.

Being against housing commission in prime real estate is not racist. Fact is if they were lads I would say they were lads, if they were bogans I would say they were bogans - if they're Aboriginals I should be allowed to say they're Aboriginals.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23124979-29277,00.html

Last edited:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
goddammit, how hard is it to realise rape is wrong when you're on top of a woman who's screaming "please don't" etc etc? are these abos fucking retarded?

and i'm tired of them hiding behind their race and blaming everything on other people, eg. "its not our fault, we dont have enough doctors" or "we don't know any better". well how about you get an education and become a doctor or a teacher for your community. :mad:

Just take responisbility for own actions, it's not everyone elses fault - it's YOURS.

iamsickofyear12 said:
agreed. :rolleyes:

---------------- Now playing: Coldplay - Violet Hill via FoxyTunes

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Rageeb said:
goddammit, how hard is it to realise rape is wrong when you're on top of a woman who's screaming "please don't" etc etc? are these abos fucking retarded?

and i'm tired of them hiding behind their race and blaming everything on other people, eg. "its not our fault, we dont have enough doctors" or "we don't know any better". well how about you get an education and become a doctor or a teacher for your community. :mad:

Just take responisbility for own actions, it's not everyone elses fault - it's YOURS.

agreed. :rolleyes:

---------------- Now playing: Coldplay - Violet Hill via FoxyTunes

I doubt the Aboriginal woman would be like 'stop, please don't (screams)'... more like 'fuck yeah boomerang man, rape me naaooww do it quick I'm fucking drunk' :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
chicky_pie said:
I doubt the Aboriginal woman would be like 'stop, please don't (screams)'... more like 'fuck yeah boomerang man, rape me naaooww do it quick I'm fucking drunk' :D
But that wouldn't be rape any more because the aboriginal woman gave consent.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Exphate said:
For a Jew (persecuted for all eternity) you really are a racist piece of shit.
How was he being racist? He was stating facts: the aborigines near him are fuckheads.

Now, I would personally generalise that as "most aborigines I know are fuckheads". I do judge each one on their own individual merit, but as a group I find them rather despicable. This is probably a more 'racist' stance, if you really intend to call people out on stating the obvious.

Edit: and I'd like to say that, yes, there's a population of like 25% of Aborigines who are smart, civil and educated. But they are outshone by the other 75%, and it's a problem.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)