Abortion banned in South Dakota (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Say they're in a situation... where it's inevitable that both the baby and the mother are going to die if someone isn't done soon, however the mother could survive if the baby was removed (but not vice-versa) - would this law prevent them from removing the baby, condemning the woman to death and not saving the baby?
Thats hazy. The Rueters article suggests no. I saw some other articles that said yes an abortion is allowed in the female is going to die.

But there is no word on whether an abortion is allowed in the case of the mother dying and the born child surviving.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If someone wants an abortion they have plenty of other options. They are not going to say "Well I can't have an abortion in this state so I guess I am fucked." They are surrounded by other states. It's as simple as picking one and driving there.

And I'm sure there is something unconstitutional about a law that you can't have an abortion even if you are going to die without one.

davin

HSC
N/A
long history of people crossing state lines for abortions

its quite possible it'll go up to the supreme court, really....and its iffy on how that'd go....but i'd not expect the supreme court to say no to it

my question...the heck does incest matter for a special circumstance for rape?

davin

HSC
N/A
won't happen....especially since theres no way to draw the lines for said civil war, region-wise.

that, and its areas taht would be rebelling that are anti-gun

davin

HSC
N/A
South Dakota is way north in the U.S.

you could try to make a claim it would be the 3 pacific states and the northeast, but i'd doubt it'd go that way. if it was by party, it would just be some of the cities rebelling

ciarawarsop

HSC
its nice to discuss the particulars of the subject......but i think its bullshit how some stupid fucking state can have say over a womans body. if i lived in south dakota id be spewing, regardless of how many different states i could go to for one......(no-one has said it yet, so someone had to..) THE STATE SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN CONTROL OVER ANY WOMANS BODY. and thats that.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They don't have control over the woman's body. They do, however, have a duty to protect the lives in their state.

davin

HSC
N/A
ciarawarsop said:
its nice to discuss the particulars of the subject......but i think its bullshit how some stupid fucking state can have say over a womans body. if i lived in south dakota id be spewing, regardless of how many different states i could go to for one......(no-one has said it yet, so someone had to..) THE STATE SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN CONTROL OVER ANY WOMANS BODY. and thats that.
if you just want to say control, they had control before. if you were in south dakota, you couldn't be using cocaine, for example

either way, like i said, i doubt it'll stand. its already being challenged i believe, and it directly violates what the supreme court had previously said to make abortion illegal in all cases...so it'll have to go back to them.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Well, that's the thing. Will the new Supreme court recognise the precedent of Roe v Wade, or will they overturn it?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I think it's better for liberals if Roe v Wade is overturned expressedly, rather then the ammendments which will probably come into play soon enough with Alito joining the bench.

davin

HSC
N/A
i doubt it.....4 of the justices are considered left enough that i'd doubt them to overturn, a fifth that is a swing vote, but generally supports abortion in past cases, and 2 new ones that have a generally unknown position on abortion. so really theres 5 that'll not get rid of abortion, at least.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
davin said:
doubt it.....4 of the justices are considered left enough that i'd doubt them to overturn, a fifth that is a swing vote, but generally supports abortion in past cases, and 2 new ones that have a generally unknown position on abortion. so really theres 5 that'll not get rid of abortion, at least.
I read that too, I don't think Roe vs Wade is under quite as much threat as some might fear. Surely if this case is taken to the Supreme Court, Roe vs Wade won't be overturned anyway.

New York Times said:
Lawmakers opposed to abortion rights here — and advocates opposed to abortion rights around the country — have been split over timing questions. Some argue that the arrivals of Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. on the Supreme Court and speculation that Justice John Paul Stevens might soon retire, made now an ideal time to challenge Roe.
..unless this speculation becomes reality

Last edited:

stainmepink

HSC
oh .. kay, what the fuck. what happenend to women's rights over in SD. thats freaking horrible, women's rights are being erroded away. A women should have a choice in the matter, whether she wants to carry out a pregnancy is purely her decision and not the decision of a predominantly male govenment.

X

xeuyrawp

Damage Inc. said:
My prediction:

There is going to be another civil war in the US in the near future.
Yeah, because there's already such hostility... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it make more sense for the educated coastal cities to be attacked by the redneck inlanders and southerners? Oh, wait, the federal government IS the redneck inlanders and southerners...

Texas: 'We're going to fight those communists in the White House! ... Oh, wait... we are the White House...'

davin

HSC
N/A
whether she wants to carry out a pregnancy is purely her decision and not the decision of a predominantly male govenment.
and, of course, the number of women that are opposed to abortion shows that clearly its all the fault of men that theres legislation against

calling them "educated costal cities" seems like such a joke

two additions:
"This is the time," Sen. Julie Bartling, D-Burke, said after noting recent changes in the makeup of the Supreme Court. "There is a movement across this country, and in my opinion this is the time for the South Dakota Legislature [to take the lead] in protecting the rights of the unborn."
i'm fairly sure on that quote that that means she voted for it....i'm pretty certain thats a female name, and she's even a Democrat.
Several South Dakota women who had abortions years ago testified at task force and legislative committee hearings about how abortions had hurt them psychologically and had strained their ability to sustain relationships.
and more women involved.

point is...this isn't simply men doing something to women.... much as there's this view that clearly, women are so incapable of unique thought that all women think the same

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I wrote an entire article on this issue once. I received backlash no end for it, because I promoted the idea that gender politics (the concept that a political position is both beneficial and supported by ALL people of a particular gender) benefitted neither men nor women.

Men are from Earth, Women are from Earth. Feminists are from Uranus
http://www.thequahreport.com/archives/2004/11/men_are_from_ea.html

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Lets all be greatful we don't live in South Dakota and for people who are pro-life you should all go live there and stop bothering us.

Rorix

HSC
I think the evidence is pretty clear that life begins at conception, and that abortion kills said life. I just don't have a problem with that.

There is no reason except convience to have a blanket moral ban on intentional murder/taking of life (to use a less provoking term).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)