• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

About conclusion (1 Viewer)

Student2

HSC
N/A
How much marks would I loose if I do not have a finished conclusion, but addresses the question.

Also, do you lose a lot of marks for only talking about your related material in one paragraph, but it's integrated with your prescribed text? So only like 2-4 points on it.

Thank you.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
If you engage with the question well, and maintain the coherence of your argument throughout the essay without a conclusion, then you wouldn't lose that many marks. The fact is, HSC markers normally take about 5 minutes to look through each script - they read the intro word-for-word, skim the first body paragraph and then skip the rest until reaching the conclusion. Although, a good conclusion is known to be the difference between a 19 and 20 - something to keep in mind.

As for your second question, probably not. However, imo, it's better to separate your paragraphs.

Axio

=o
HSC
If you engage with the question well, and maintain the coherence of your argument throughout the essay without a conclusion, then you wouldn't lose that many marks. The fact is, HSC markers normally take about 5 minutes to look through each script - they read the intro word-for-word, skim the first body paragraph and then skip the rest until reaching the conclusion. Although, a good conclusion is known to be the difference between a 19 and 20 - something to keep in mind.

As for your second question, probably not. However, imo, it's better to separate your paragraphs.
Everything Hawk has said. Except, imo I think that integrating your paragraphs can work very well too. It shows comparisons very clearly.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Probably 1-2 marks because you're assessed on your structure.

For your second q, would really depend on how well you talk about the texts. (Are you talking about AOS or Mod C?)

zaha

HSC
N/A
Not sure how harsh they are about it in hsc but in my top 5 school, not writing a conclusion is one of the worst things you can do in an english essay
a person in my grade was coming top 5 in english and consistently getting 19s and 18s but didn't have enough time to write a conclusion for one of his assessments, the teacher told him he was lucky he was getting a 17, so if this is what's it like here then maybe 3/4 marks in the hsc? take this with a grain of salt though as hsc markers might be even more lenient

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)