About Continuers... (1 Viewer)

Jusskah

HSC
What level of Japanese would one need to cope at the subject? I didn't do Japanese in Year 9 and 10 (they didn't run a class) but I did it for a year in year 8 and continued study on my own (albeit not very efficiently).

I know all the hiragana and katakana naturally but only around 25-30 Kanji. My grammar is... passable? I've got a good grasp of the sentence structures, but I think my major downfall is my vocabulary which I am currently trying to remedy (woo flashcards).

Do you think I would be capable of Continuers by the start of next year? I have considered purchasing a textbook used in Years 9 and 10 and going through that thoughout next term and the holidays (as if I care about the sc : D). If I worked consistently, will I be on roughly the same playing field as other continuers candidates?

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Interesting question- I do Beginners atm but my teacher gave me the whole Continuers prelim course a few weeks ago because I'm quite ahead of the Beginner's course and the course he gave me is the old one with the tapes that they don't use anymore.

Knowing both furigana alphabets = nice- they get you to read pretty long extracts so being able to do that quickly will help.

The textbook is a good idea- the continuers course I have uses Mirai but some schools were using Wakatta in 2006.

I think your kanji will really bug you so maybe start learning all the ones in the beginners and continuers syllabus (you can get a list from board of studies)

If you're doing it through OHS (?), the course is really well written and has constant recaps of structures, vocab, conjugation etc.

You might as well do it, right? You might have to drop if it's too hard but holiday study should be helpful.
Good luck.

Jusskah

HSC
Ah, thanks :) I definitely don't know enough kanji, but I was hoping to improve that by learning vocab (like learn the kanji as part of a word, not by itself).

Naw, I'm doing it through my school. They have a pretty good language course (from what I've heard) + native Japanese speaker which is always good.

Picking it up and then potentially dropping it never occurered to me ahahh, it seems so simple now ^_^; I guess I just wanted to know if I was wasting my time. I think I'll pick it up and see how I do!

Xunlyn

Flippant Pancakes
HSC
You'd probably have to take the Beginners course seeing as you didnt do it in your SC- wether you self studied or not.

Although, you can do what I did, which was study the Continuers course while being technically enrolled in Beginners at BoS- that way you learn all the advanced stuff and when you come to it, the exam is as easy as piss.

Good luck~

cerys

because i can.
HSC
/high-fives!

Yay! Found someone else doing (or will do) both French and Japanese <3

I did Japanese accelerated in year 10 but when I started continuers at the beginning of this year, I found it easy because quite a bit of it is sorta like beginner's course material but more in depth (but became a bit harder as we did the late units), though now, the work for the hsc is much more difficult. I say try and get into the continuers course, and if successful, study as much as you can in the summer holidays to 'catch-up'.

Or just stick with beginners and ace it ;D

Jusskah

HSC
Wheee French and Jap <3

I talked to the Japanese teacher and she told me just to do Beginners, and so I guess that was that >_> I wanted to do continuers for extensiiioooon, it seems like such an awesome course D:

Studying the continuers course at the same time does seem to be a good idea, I think I'll defintitely do that :D Funny how that didn't even cross my mind ._.

I bought the first of the Genki textbooks and it's quite o-sum, can anyone recommend any other textbooks- or are the Genki ones good enough (they're expensive enough ._.) ?

cerys

because i can.
HSC
^ げんき! Do you just have the Genki I book? I recommend getting the Genki II when your done with the first one. Some of the lessons are funny xD (Refer to the "Crimes and Accidents" part in Genki II, the picture of the ちかん touching Takeshi made me lol x3)

I also have the Wakatta! textbook as well and the way things are set out in the book easy to learn from (for me, that is).

And I think the book we used for Year 11 Continuer's was Mirai 5? I think... I've forgotten so I'm not quite sure.

But yar... They are quite expensive. Though luckily for me my bro buys all these and I end up 'inheriting' it from him LOL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)