About Mathematics 1A & Mathematics 1B(comp science) (1 Viewer)

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
HAI!

I'd like to know which books you need to study Mathematics 1A and 1B?
I'll try prepare myself before starting the uni next year

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
um for maths 1131 (maths 1A) you can buy a textbook for calculus
forgot what it was called because i gave it back to a friend, but from my experience and my friends, it isnt really necessary to buy the textbook, as youll be working in the tutorials given to you when you buy the maths course packs
thers no textbooks for algebra
not sure about 1B coz i didnt do it this semester

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You won't need to buy a textbook for MATH1081 Discrete Mathematics either; the course is easy and the lecture material is more than adequate.

Raginsheep

HSC
Is there any reason why a straight comp sci student must do maths 1a and 1b while a comp sci/dig media student only needs to do 1a and discrete?

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Raginsheep said:
Is there any reason why a straight comp sci student must do maths 1a and 1b while a comp sci/dig media student only needs to do 1a and discrete?
Well, do you know anygood website to practise those maths ?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If you're really desperate to practice, go to the unsw co-op bookshop and buy the lecture notes

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
no theres no website to practice those kinds of maths
just wait till uni

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Download the course outline, and look for books covering the same material as in the course, eg Linear Algebra, Calculus, etc.

gman03

HSC
samuraitor said:
Well, do you know anygood website to practise those maths ?
If there is any website with questions to practise, there would be very few answers/solution accompanied with them. I doubt anyone is willing do questions without access to answers. That's just my opinion.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Iruka said:
MIT's Open Course Ware is a good place to get stuff about uni level (both undergraduate and graduate level) mathematics.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/index.htm

You can get lecture notes, problem sets, etc. I don't think many of the problem sets have solutions, though.
Are Mathematics 1A & Mathematics 1B courses easy to understand and pass ?How is the workload? specially if you are doing a combo degree.

I really want to study comp science but I dont know if the maths are going to be hard or not...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
mathematics 1a is alright if you like your maths
i just studied for the tests the night before and the exam a coupel of days before as well and i passed quite comfortably
workload is alright....they expect you to attempt questions from the tutorials every week, so its alright

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
azn_gangsta81 said:
mathematics 1a is alright if you like your maths
i just studied for the tests the night before and the exam a coupel of days before as well and i passed quite comfortably
workload is alright....they expect you to attempt questions from the tutorials every week, so its alright
Are the techer good ? How are the exams?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the lecturers are pretty good, so learning form them shouldnt be a problem
i had pretty good tutors as well but they will vary
exam was alright, but i couldve done better if i studied more for it
and dont leave study till the last minute!! trust me

tryx

HSC
The textbook for calc Salas-Hille Calculus of one and several variables. Its useless first semester and fairly helpful 2nd. I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you are very into your maths and like to do extra work, or are doing later year's engineering maths courses (pure maths goes onto do analysis which is a whole nother kettle of fish)

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
I've got a question regarding these courses. In the "Enrolment tools" section of the myUNSW offer acceptance page it has a link to a "First year planner". In the planner there are two patterns (A & B) to chose from. Pattern B is basically if your maths isnt very strong - you can do General Mathematics 1B (MATH1011) in semester 1 and either Mathematics 1A (MATH1131) or Mathematics 1B (MATH1231) in semester 2.

Now my question is this, is there any disadvantage should I choose to do General Mathematics 1B? After looking at the course descriptions and topics, it looks like a repeat of the 3-unit maths I did at school. I got a combined mark of over 100 for maths in the HSC, so I could probably cope with Pattern A.. but are there any courses in second or third year that require you to have done Mathematics 1B (or 1A for that matter)?

I'm not quite sure what to do... do you really use the maths you learn in first year in the COMP courses later on?

Also, howcome this is the first time I've seen the General Mathematics 1B course? It's not mentioned in any of the program structures I've seen :S
Is it only recommended for people who do the bridging course or something?

Last edited:

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
Iruka said:
If you're in Comp Sci you should be enrolling in MATH 1131 (S1) and MATH 1231 (S2). General maths is just a bridging course for people who didn't do enough maths in yr 12.

Quote from handbook entry for MATH 1011 General Maths 1B:

"Note: This course is not intended for students who propose to study a substantial amount of Mathematics beyond first year level. Many later year courses in Mathematics have completion of MATH1231, MATH1241 or MATH1251 as a prerequisite. This course can be taken as a preparatory course by students who need to take MATH1131 but do not meet the assumed knowledge requirement."

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2007/MATH1011.html
Thanks for the quick answer. So by a substantial amount of Mathematics beyond first year level they mean if you choose MATH electives? Afaik all the core's in 2nd and 3rd year are COMP..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)