About postgraduate law (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
I had commerce/law in mind but didnt get the required UAI( i only got 96.95). So basically instead i'm planning on doing the commerce degree and then do law postgrad.

can someone explain to me postgrad law in more detail? what are the requirements for studying law post grad? fees etc. Also i heard that it only takes one year to complete postgrad law, which would be equivalent to doing comm/law (5 years)

addz

HSC
umm.
post grad law is 3 years long...
dunno about fees and that
you could just do commerce (if you make the cut-off), then get a D avg (or at least around there...higher the better) and try to transfer after 1st year....and in theory that will only be around 5 years (same as getting into combined law)...but generally total uni time is around 5 and 1/2 years

theres lots of ways of doing law...and not even at UNSW...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Postgraduate Law are degrees such as a Master of Laws for people that have graduated from a Bachelor of Laws. Of course, you mean graduate law, which is, as addz said, a 3 year degree, which is still quite competitive, although not as competitive as year 12 leavers.

Requirements, for UNSW anyway, is a Bachelor degree with a credit average at least (they assess 25% UAI, 75% Bachelor degree). If you have an honours or research masters, you automatically get in

mp3mojo

Hey Minai, are you sure if you have an honours then you automatically get into law in UNSW?
Does this also apply for USYD?
Thanks

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know about USYD,
but I amend my previous post - I just checked the UNSW Law website and it states:
"Entry to this program is very competitive, and applicants with honours or a postgraduate degree will be viewed more favourably. Applicants with a completed Research Masters or PhD will automatically be offered a place."
Sorry.

1000words

HSC
fantasia said:
I had commerce/law in mind but didnt get the required UAI( i only got 96.95). So basically instead i'm planning on doing the commerce degree and then do law postgrad.

can someone explain to me postgrad law in more detail? what are the requirements for studying law post grad? fees etc. Also i heard that it only takes one year to complete postgrad law, which would be equivalent to doing comm/law (5 years)

Hi there Fantasia,

Congratulations on your year 12 results! You should be proud!

Have you considered transferring into law in your second year? This way, you will enter your commerce/law degree laterally and meet people around your age and career stage. You won't necessarily be taking longer in your course.

Congratulations again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)