About Text Editors for C (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I am currently taking the C course comp1091 and downloaded the text editor used by the lecturer - Editplus. Is this the best text editor for C? Can I use it indefinitely as it is only a trial version?

gman03

HSC
nedit is a decent editor for C as well... similar to notepad except with colour syntax and whatnot

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
zoodboog said:
editpad is cool but all the trial bs annoys me

i think i used ConTEXT and GEdit for C. ConTEXT is cool for most things.
If you are using Windows, I also recommend ConTEXT. If you are using Linux/Unix then I recommed Kwrite or Nedit.

(Note: These are recomendations for "novice" programmers, not my own personal preferences)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
If you want to try something cool, try Crimson Editor.

I use WinSyntax, and in total have written at least 50 000 lines of code so far with it, and it allows a very cool trick allowing easy creation of redundant code, but it has no window splitting. No window splitting is actually good for C though, it encourages you to make prototype headers etc (two files). It also forces you to keep your file sizes down, so you code modularly etc..

But anyways, my recommendation goes to Crimson Editor. ConTEXT is fine too, except it screwed up my notepad on my system :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
A third vote for ConTEXT here - make sure you download the highlight files for C syntax :)

I use gVim personally (http://www.vim.org/ I think) - it's a bit hardcore and elitist but it has gorgeous colour schemes ;)

kucing

HSC
I think vim is the best editor for Linux (completely subjective...).

If you use KDE, you may want to try kedit.

~=::Chii::=~

HSC
well, in kde, there is an editer similar to kwrite, and its called kate. it includes a terminal inside it, so it makes compiling and running much easier..unless ur program is gui, then it wont matter...~my 2cents

J0n

N/A
HSC
Emacs does as well, and it has *much* more features. Only good thing about kwrite/kate is that its quite pretty :)

I tried using VI, but it is just so damn annoying having to move my fingers to esc or the arrow keys every time I want to move around, or save. Emacs is just so much better like that. For windows also, I think XEmacs is the best.

Personally, I don't like ConTEXT, but thats just me...

snarkyboojum

HSC
N/A
Notepad++ - a "free source code" editor

Well I use Vim at work, uni and home. It's definitely my favourite.

But for programmers who don't want to learn a whole bunch of commands before they can get programming (even though it might turn out to be damn fast when you get your head around it) and who are running Windows, I'd recommend Notepad++. It's a really decent editor, it's feature rich and it's open source (despite what you might think looking at the name). Check it out - you can get it off sourceforge <a href="http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm" target="blank">here</a>. I've used it for some time at work, and was quite impressed.

snarkyboojum

HSC
N/A
J0n said:
I tried using VI, but it is just so damn annoying having to move my fingers to esc or the arrow keys every time I want to move around, or save.
Dude - you should be using h,j,k,l to move around :D That way you fingers never leave your touch typing position :D

J0n

N/A
HSC
I have to press esc to get into command mode before they move around - otherwise I just get a lot of h , j, k and l's etc in my file, right? or is there a better way?

Shalmanese

HSC
You can download Visual Studio off CSE Mirror for free and it is absurdly better than any C text editor mentioned so far. Integrated debugging, colour highlighting, being able to jump to variable and function definitions, one click compile & run, faster compilation than gcc.

snarkyboojum

HSC
N/A
J0n said:
I have to press esc to get into command mode before they move around - otherwise I just get a lot of h , j, k and l's etc in my file, right? or is there a better way?
Nope - that's right.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Think about it the other way - you have to hit 'i' before you type, which is only a key away from the home row ;)

hitting esc is natural for me as a gamer since most menus/chat windows require hitting esc before you can do anything else haha. it breaks my MSN though :(

I found emacs confusing with the ctrl-x ctrl-w thing or whatever it was.. I'd prefer to hit esc and type :w :) (or ctrl s in windows)

But digressing. Some text editors have additional functionality: one of the venerable admin of BoS introduced me to Editpad for Java work, since it has inbuilt compiling of .java files.. ooh yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)