About the percentile for maths ext 2 (1 Viewer)

DavidWen

HSC
Hi folks. The other day I input a mark of 92% (i.e. 110/120 of raw mark) into one of those ATAR calculators online. ( it uses 2009 data, BTW) I think it was either Matrix or Talent 100. The output in the field "percentile" was 75%. Then I changedthe input into 94% and the subsequent percentile was 90%.
Does it not imply that there is a very high concentration of examinees who score within the 110~112 range, and one in every 4 students score above 110/120????????? I don't know but from my experience it's quite outrageous, really. Is it the normal distribution of HSC marks for maths ext 2, that 25% of students score above 110/120?

Dylanamali

HSC
understand the diff between scaled mark and raw mark..
a raw mark of about 80/120 -> 92 mate

DavidWen

HSC
Just to clarify, the marks input are HSC marks, that is, the average of raw mark and moderated internal mark. The output was percentile, not scaled marks, which is the position of the particular HSC mark among all candidates.

Dylanamali

HSC
Just to clarify, the marks input are HSC marks, that is, the average of raw mark and moderated internal mark. The output was percentile, not scaled marks, which is the position of the particular HSC mark among all candidates.
it is true that a HUGE AMOUNT of candidates receive e4 and e3's in mx2, but your assumption that those students score 100+/120 is wrong. Marks are aligned first before they are given out. Read the other sections of the forum to better understand this.
HSC mark does not mean your raw mark in the exam.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hi folks. The other day I input a mark of 92% (i.e. 110/120 of raw mark) into one of those ATAR calculators online. ( it uses 2009 data, BTW) I think it was either Matrix or Talent 100. The output in the field "percentile" was 75%. Then I changedthe input into 94% and the subsequent percentile was 90%.
Does it not imply that there is a very high concentration of examinees who score within the 110~112 range, and one in every 4 students score above 110/120????????? I don't know but from my experience it's quite outrageous, really. Is it the normal distribution of HSC marks for maths ext 2, that 25% of students score above 110/120?
The mark that 'you' put in was the aligned mark, so for MX2, students scoring from about 80 to 100 out of 120 will align with the close gap of 92-94. There's a high concentration of marks from 80 to 100, as there would be seeing as that's a 20 mark gap.

DavidWen said:
HSC marks is the average of your aligned mark and moderated assessment mark, not your raw mark; there is a difference.

But even Matrix or Einstein isn't fully accurate in how you input marks. UAC scaling uses your raw HSC marks and your moderated assessment marks to determine your ATAR; so even plugging in your final HSC mark is still not exactly how the system works.

DavidWen

HSC
Oh. I see then. It scared me really, 1 in every 4 gets above 110.......

DavidWen

HSC
The mark that 'you' put in was the aligned mark, so for MX2, students scoring from about 80 to 100 out of 120 will align with the close gap of 92-94. There's a high concentration of marks from 80 to 100, as there would be seeing as that's a 20 mark gap.

HSC marks is the average of your aligned mark and moderated assessment mark, not your raw mark; there is a difference.

But even Matrix or Einstein isn't fully accurate in how you input marks. UAC scaling uses your raw HSC marks and your moderated assessment marks to determine your ATAR; so even plugging in your final HSC mark is still not exactly how the system works.

BTW you 've got a very 'lucky' number of posts==" if youre Chinese youd know wot i mean

Alkanes

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)