• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

About to Enter Year 11 - Need Some Guidance Please (1 Viewer)

kurrykid101

HSC
Hi,

I am entering Year 11 next year and I have some concerns regarding my HSC (yes, I'm only 15 and I'm already stressing :p)

My chosen subjects are:

English advanced (+Ex1), Physics, Biology, Business Studies, Studies Of Religion (1 unit), and Mathematics (+Ex1)

For Year 12, I intend on dropping business studies, and instead, do Ex2 maths.

I have a few questions.

1. I go to a Catholic school, hence religion is compulsory. I am very, very strong in my other subjects achieving 95+ (maths, science, English) however for Religion I usually receive low 70's. My school offers Studies of Religion 1, 2, and Catholic studies (non-ATAR).

My questions is: Should I study catholic studies or SOR 1? Is it advisable to study a subject that doesn't count towards my ATAR.

2. What is Moderation? How will it affect my result? To be honest my school doesn't consist of many bright people (sometimes ranked within the 100-200 range). Yes, there are few extremely outstanding people, but will the not-so bright people affect my mark?

3. Studying Extension 2 mathematics: I am more capable of doing the mathematics course. I can do some questions of the Extension 1 paper (given I am still in year 10). However, Extension 2 mathematics is something I am very keen to do. However, most likely another student is going to select is as well come year 12. I have talked to various friends and teachers and they tell me that because two students are in the class, when the result comes, they will average the two, and hence, one of us will below the average and one of us will be above. What happens in this event? Particularly if I am below the average? How is my ATAR affected?

I am super grateful for the advice :)
Thanks

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
1. Do catholic studies - you get some random mark at the end that no one cares about and you don't have the stress of 1/2 yearlies and trials. I did it and they were just used as study periods. There's not point doing extra assessments for a subject if it's obviously not going to count.

2. Your cohort (the people in your school doing the same subject(s) as you) will affect you if you're not first, but they will affect you less the higher up your ranks are. Also, going to a school ranked 100-200 isn't bad seeing as there are 600+ school in the state.

3. Pffft your teachers are wrong. That's not how you get your final overall subject marked. After year 12, on of you will be ranked 1st internally and the other 2nd. When you sit your HSC exam, you will both keep your HSC external mark. Then the person ranked 1st will get the highest HSC external mark as their INTERNAL mark. The person ranked 2nd would get an internal mark roughly equivalent to the highest HSC exam mark - internal mark gap (from your school assessments). The overall subject mark for both people will be the average between their internal and external mark.

So basically, if you both deserve and E4 in 4U maths you'll get an E4. If you don't understand, just try it out and do your best :)

HSC
Uni Grad
1. It depends on what interests you. If you do like your subject to count toward your ATAR, then perhaps I think it's going to be a good idea to do SOR 1.

Otherwise, if you don't want it to count to ATAR, then Catholic studies would be the answer.

But however, I'd highly advise you to take a subject that contributes to your ATAR, since if you stuff up other subjects, then possibly SOR could fill the 10 units determined for the ATAR.

2. According to Wiki;
>>Moderation is the process of eliminating or lessening extremes. It is used to ensure normality throughout the medium on which it is being conducted.<<

Well tbh, I don't really think it will affect your ATAR result, as long as you try hard, even without the competitive kiddos, and receive good marks, then you'll do well. I mean, almost anyone can do it.

When you think about it, the main reason why James Ruse comes first is because of the competition. People just make you get pushed to achieve those marks. But you can still do it without the competition, I mean, all you'll really need to do is to revise everything from the syllabus, and read other essays from students from other schools. It can give a comparison without the internal competition which certain schools like Ruse and Baulko have.

3. It wouldn't really affect your ATAR that much, but just as long as you score a pretty good mark. Try getting around the 80's and you'll be still fine since it scales you up. I mean, if you are getting below average (between 2 students)and that it's still a pretty high mark, it doesn't affect your ATAR much since it's quite high.

Though the average is more of the state average, not just between the two people. I think it should be better to compare to the state, not two people though.

Another question, I need to ask you, what school do you attend?

kurrykid101

HSC
Lol, getting some mixed responses for the first questions

Thanks so much for the quick response, I really appreciate it!

I got to St. Leo's (Wahroonga). Its not always in top 200 though? I am not too sure how these influences my result?

Thanks

flaminwaffle

HSC
youre stressing too much. youll pick up the mechanics of the HSC as you go, and that will help you in your decision making later on. it's too early on to be dedicing what youll do in year 12 right now. Your subjects are fine. Your school wont affect you much as long as you do well. you sound like a bright kid, just work for it, and youll be fine.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Re your third question:

I do Extension II and I'm in a class of two and it's really no problem at all. In fact I think it's quite good because neither of us have really worried about rankings or that shiz and we've basically just worked (especially after Trials) to get our levels as high and close as possible.

In the end all that matters is that you learn the course and do well in it -- the ranks and marks will sort themselves out. And if you're in a class that small it's good to work with the other person ... makes grasping new concepts a whole lot easier.

With the other questions ... Religion was compulsory at my school until Year 12. I dropped it. If you're strong in your other subjects and have enough units, why waste your time?

And with moderation, you'll learn about it as you go along ... don't stress. And it really boils down to one golden rule: the higher you're ranked the less you have to worry about other people. So you try as hard as possible.

Stay calm, you have all of next year to learn this before you even start Year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)