Absorbtion spectra (1 Viewer)

mrpotatoed

HSC
Can an atom only absorb a photon when the energy of the photo allows it to jump up the energy level. ie: if the incident photon has MORE energy than required, it will not be absorbed? Just curious cause the absorption spectra of hydrogen suggests that the photon must have the exact energy required for it cause an electron to jump up energy levels.

mrpotatoed

HSC
Sorry probably because I posted in the wrong area, should be in quanta to quarks

spatula232

HSC
I'd assume it would be able to jump to the 'highest' energy band possible with that energy, then emit it all when it drops back.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Gotta be exact.

Must be equal to the energy difference between its initial energy state and a final energy state.

klee98

HSC
Can an atom only absorb a photon when the energy of the photo allows it to jump up the energy level. ie: if the incident photon has MORE energy than required, it will not be absorbed? Just curious cause the absorption spectra of hydrogen suggests that the photon must have the exact energy required for it cause an electron to jump up energy levels.
The way i interpret it from my textbook is that the electrons needs an exact packet of energy that allows it to jump from its ground state to another energy level. The higher/ denser the energy, the more energy levels the electron jumps to, but it needs to be exact (imagine a whole number) so that the electron does not fall in between the energy levels.

mrpotatoed

HSC
Cheers, wanted to make sure it wasn't something similar to the photoelectric effect, like where the energy just has to be past a certain threshold value at which point all EMR above that is absorbed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)