AC and DC generators (1 Viewer)

xeriphic

I'm just wondering, for DC generators which runs on split-ring commutator, as the direction of the current changes every half cycle, this means the induced current will change polarity every half cycle right ??

also for AC generators, the polarity of the induced current remains constant as the coil turns ??

thanks

helper

HSC
N/A
In a DC generator, the induced current in the loop will change but the current coming from the generator will not change polarity.

The polarity in the loop AC generator and the polarity of the current from the generator will change.

Last edited:

xeriphic

wait I'm confused, why is there current coming from the generator ?? doesn't it generate current not supply it

helper

HSC
N/A
A generator produces current. I.E. generates current. It converts kinetic energy into electrical energy.

A motor converts electrical energy into kinetic energy

xeriphic

yes that's what I thought ^ maybe I interpret differently before to what you wrote sorry lol

xeriphic

I'm still confused, for your first post was that referring to AC or DC not sure ??

EDIT: I think I get it, so you mean there are two stages ?? one been the current induced, one been the current coming from the generator ??

Last edited:

helper

HSC
N/A
Yep but one induced current.

I tried rewording the first answer.

In a DC, the current in the loop reverses but the generated current supplied by the generator does not change.

In an AC, the current in the loop reverses and the generated current reverses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)