AC motor (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I think you will find I corrected myself. Technically speaking though I am correct, as there is a split ring commutator and only one, not split rings (a plural) which was mentioned.

DavidB

XAYMA....you are so gay cuz, its not even funny.

I understand u like showing off and shit...but y wuld u mention a universal motor if its asking about AC motors??? U just confused the hell out of everyone unnecessarily.

Im with the ilovechildren person
(U ROCK!)

Peace

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
A universal motor is also an AC motor just as much as the others. It allows variable speed without expensive control technology as opposed to a synchronous motor.

CrashOveride

HSC
Why do ac electric motors still work even though the current is constantly changing polarity?

Jase

HSC
No what you need to ask yourself is why don't DC motors work without a commutator...

LSP

HSC
CrashOveride said:
Why do ac electric motors still work even though the current is constantly changing polarity?
if the magnetic field is created by coils, when the polarity changes, the direction of magnetic field also changes so that it will continue to spin

CrashOveride

HSC
though it means the rotor must rotate at the same frequency as the ac current. coz i was thinking like if u just turned it on then in the first few split seconds the polarity would already be changing and hence the forces acting on the sides would keep alternating. But i just read ac electric motors arnt self-starting

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
though it means the rotor must rotate at the same frequency as the ac current. coz i was thinking like if u just turned it on then in the first few split seconds the polarity would already be changing and hence the forces acting on the sides would keep alternating. But i just read ac electric motors arnt self-starting
Syncronous run at 50 cycles per second. Universal can run at any due to the reason that all the fields switch.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Universal the electromagnets change polarity at the same time as the armature.

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
are you all sure we need to know all these different ac motors?
I swear the most the syllabus asks for is to contrast dc and ac.

helper

HSC
N/A
It is one of those unclear things. They removed the comparison between the types of AC but left the prac work in for induction motors, and the comparison in of AC and DC, which it is assumed is mainly for the AC synchronous and DC but could be for the universal.

tennille

HSC
Yeah, i think you do. It does mention induction motor in the syllabus.

sub

can we get away without knowing this universal motor? ive never heard of it b4... only synchronous and the induction ac motors...

helper

HSC
N/A
More than likely yes but in an longer answer they might want the detail.

sub

k, can u explain the synchronous motor to me? apparently its not self-starting...why?

helper

HSC
N/A
Same as DC but with slip rings. The oscillating current changes polarity at the same time as the rotor passes the 90 degree rotation. The motor needs to be at the synchronous speed in order for the two changes to match. So a starter is needed to make them synchronous.

The Universal uses an electromagnet to produce the magnetic field that will always change at the same time as the rotation.

smallcattle

HSC
how come none of these are been mentioned in the Excel???

which one is the normal simple AC motor????

helper

HSC
N/A
That is the problem the board has no said.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The simple normal AC motor is the synchronous, the one with slip rings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)