AC Motors (1 Viewer)

EmJayTee

HSC
I need some help with the features and operation of AC motors. I'm struggling to understand. Thanks fellow HSCers

thehootman

HSC
.... And which motors - there are many different types of ac motors

jeniii

HSC
argh! can someone explain to me how the slip rings work? i dont get why they are there if the brushes are constantly touching the rings... or so it seems to in the diagrams

what happens if we remove them?

sh1n1gam1

HSC
The brushes provide an external contact so the current can flow into the motor, they are stationary and just touch the slip ring so it can continuously rotate. If u remove the brushes no more current would flow into the motor and it would stop rotating.

jeniii

HSC
so it acts as an untangle-er? if we just connected the ends of the coils to the power supply it will get tangled ... so thats why a circle ring is needed?

and if its AC, why doesnt the coil turn backwards and forwards

sh1n1gam1

HSC
If there were no brushes and the external wires were connected to the slip ring then it would get tangled.

AC alternates unlike DC , therefore it doesn't turn backwards and forwards as every half turn the current will change polarity and the motor will continue spinning in one direction. Basically AC does already what a split ring commutator does, so there is no need for one in the motor. Since it doesn't need one, slip rings(which are less fragile) are used.

thehootman

HSC
jeniii said:
argh! can someone explain to me how the slip rings work? i dont get why they are there if the brushes are constantly touching the rings... or so it seems to in the diagrams

what happens if we remove them?
Please dont become an engineer:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)