Academic Scholarship (1 Viewer)

lionking1191

HSC
Does anyone know what sort of UAI you need to be looking at to receive one of those - any info from any past students who have got one would be great. Also when are the scholarhip recipients notified - I heard it was in January but surely they would do that before the last round for change of preference expires? Thanks guys.

Lara1986

HSC
lionking1191 said:
Does anyone know what sort of UAI you need to be looking at to receive one of those - any info from any past students who have got one would be great. Also when are the scholarhip recipients notified - I heard it was in January but surely they would do that before the last round for change of preference expires? Thanks guys.
I got the UWS Academic Excellence Scholarship and the Blacktown City Council UWS Academic Excellence Scholarship. I had a UAI of 98.3

A sibling got an academic schoalrship at UWS also with a UAI of around 93 (i think).

I guess you'd be looking at mid 90s to be in with a good chance, at the very least, given that there's the new 'advanced leadership' scholarships so there's likely to be more people applying with 90+ UAI since you need those marks to get into those courses.

I can't remember the exact date, but i received notification that i got both scholarships before UAC offers started as we were given guaranteed entry to the course irrespective of UAC's 'results'. I think it was maybe a week or 2 before offers were released?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I got offered a scholarship (one of those once off ones) that I didn't apply for. I think I got the offer a few days after I got my UAI (it was just before Christmas) and they had a meeting about it in January before offers were released as a condition was having UWS as the first preference. Even if you miss out on some of the bigger ones due to UAI constraints, sometimes they offer ones like mine in courses where they want to improve their demand, mine was for Law and I remember people at the meeting came from specific courses. Good luck with it

I had a UAI of 94.0 and did not live in the Greater Western Area *however many suburbs right next to mine were* and I got a once of $4000 grant...but I didnt get it until August some time.

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
lionking1191 said:
In previous years, Ive heard of people with as low as 94 getting them.

However, this year you are automatically considered for a scholarship if you meet the requirements, unlike previously when you had to apply (apparently because not enough people were applying and scholarship numbers were increasing). So in theory, there will be a larger pool of eligible students so the UAI could go up as a result.

Im in the same position, (i took a gap yr so am starting next yr) I got 97.4 so if I dont get one then my prediction will be right. Fingers crossed!

And applicants are notified in Jan.

Lara1986

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
In previous years, Ive heard of people with as low as 94 getting them.

However, this year you are automatically considered for a scholarship if you meet the requirements, unlike previously when you had to apply (apparently because not enough people were applying and scholarship numbers were increasing). So in theory, there will be a larger pool of eligible students so the UAI could go up as a result.

Im in the same position, (i took a gap yr so am starting next yr) I got 97.4 so if I dont get one then my prediction will be right. Fingers crossed!

And applicants are notified in Jan.
Do you still qualify if you take a gap year for some?

Cause i know for my scholarships, at least back in 2004 when I applied for it, you had to start the next year and can't take any breaks during your degree.

Its good if some let you take the gap year though :)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Lara1986 said:
Do you still qualify if you take a gap year for some?

Cause i know for my scholarships, at least back in 2004 when I applied for it, you had to start the next year and can't take any breaks during your degree.

Its good if some let you take the gap year though :)
Yeah if you defer for a max of 1 year than you can still apply for school leaver scholarships.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)